Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bulletin Analytique d\'Histoire Romaine?
Ave,

On 24 January 2006, Arahne posted:-
Excellent database for periodicals is
Bulletin Analytique d'Histoire Romaine
http://misha1.u-strasbg.fr/flora/servlet/LoginServlet

At the time I was experiencing problems with my browser and I couldn't view this website. I've since changed browsers and I checked the above website out last night. What a potentially great resource. Thank you Arahne.

I have the following questions:-

01. Does this website only inform you of who wrote what and where?
02. Does this website only allow you to download the details in 01?
03. Does this website, like ZPE, allow you to download the articles?
04. If the answer to 03 is yes, is this service free?
05. If the answer to 03 is yes, how do you download the articles?

Thank you.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Hello

1 I would say yes
2 I have not even found the 01. Where it is?
3 i don't think so

It would be nice to be able to dowload the files, but the site is not very clear about it.
ERWAN
I've just tried it. Seems to be a useful index, but index only, no download facility for the articles themselves.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Hello
1 I would say yes
2 I have not even found the 01. Where it is?
3 i don't think so
It would be nice to be able to dowload the files, but the site is not very clear about it.

Ave Dagann,

Hello to you too.

In answer to your question, after you've input your search criteria ie. eck werner, check out the various symbols at the top of the page. One of them is in the form of a basket. If you put one of the items from your list into the basket you can download the saved version as a notepad file. All it is, is who wrote what and where to find it, a sort of x-reference.

So, as Jasper says, the website is an index.

I agree, it would be very useful if we could download from that website. It would appear that the only journal offering these facilities is ZPE. An opportunity lost by all of the others and making it harder for us to find copies. If only they were all as "enlightened" as ZPE? How very shortsighted of them.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Quote:I've just tried it. Seems to be a useful index, but index only, no download facility for the articles themselves.

Ave Jasper,

Thank you for taking the time to look.

How very disappointing. I must admit that I had my fingers crossed that the website was other than what I suspected it to be.

I live in hope that the others will eventually wake up to the idea that not only university students nor the educated few are the only people interested in the contents of their publications.

If only they would take a wider view that we could all benefit from?

I've just climbed down from my soapbox.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Actually, many journals do E-publish their material now, except it is usually on a paid site, like JSTOR ( http://www.jstor.org/ ). Again, university libraries prolly have a subscription, but everyone else will have to consider coughing it up for themselves.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Actually, many journals do E-publish their material now, except it is usually on a paid site, like JSTOR ( http://www.jstor.org/ ). Again, university libraries prolly have a subscription, but everyone else will have to consider coughing it up for themselves.

Ave Jasper,

You really are a font of knowledge. Is this something you needed to find out about for your PhD studies?

I did have a subsciption to JSTOR a couple of years ago, it cost me £10 for a year. But, as I had come at it through the Roman Society, I was only allowed access to JRS and Britannia. I was offered the ablity to download the entire back catalogue of both publications. How would I find out what publications they "JSTOR"? Is it as simple as clicking on the link above and enquiring?

**UPDATE**

I've just come back from JSTOR. It would seem that as an indivual researcher the list of relevant publications is limited to the two that I mentioned above. Do you know of any other possible alternative sites.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for Ill. 119 from "L’armée romaine en Gaule martijn.wijnhoven 5 2,037 10-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Last Post: martijn.wijnhoven
  Bulletin analytique du histoire Romain Arahne 0 1,054 06-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Arahne
  L’armée romaine sous le Bas-Empire†taira1180 9 3,038 05-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat