Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Romans\' in BBC/PBS Show \'Warrior Queen\' of 10/12
Having just finished watching the BBC/PBS show 'Warrior Queen' about the Celtic revolt in Britain, I feel compelled to comment on the 'Roman' army as depicted in this show.<br>
<br>
I will admit that I am only student of the Imperial Roman Army, not an expert, but even I found this show laughable at best.<br>
<br>
Did I miss something?<br>
<br>
Have I been reading the wrong sources all these years?<br>
<br>
Was this show accurate in it's portrayal of the Romans?<br>
<br>
No Centurions.<br>
<br>
No Eagles nor Standard Bearers wearing bearskins on their helmets.<br>
<br>
Trash can lids for auxiliary shields.<br>
<br>
No lorica segmentata.<br>
<br>
No use of pila or other missile weapons.<br>
<br>
Now, it is an old saw that just as much hard work and effort goes into a poor film as into a good one. I am sure somebody spent a lot of time and money on these costumes, but it doesn't show. One would have thought that the BBC would have enlisted the help of the Ermine Street Guard as advisers at least, if not as actual members of the cast.<br>
<br>
Of course, this may not matter at all, since most people are used to and accept 'Hollywood' Romans.<br>
<br>
This show, 'Warrior Queen' is further proof that the best show on TV about the Romans remains 'I Claudius.' Yes, they too did not always get all the details right, but they were consistently better at it than just about anyone else.<br>
<br>
After watching 'Warrior Queen' I can only exclaim: Great Caesar's ghost! <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
the Boudicca show is being trashed in [url=http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm10.showMessage?topicID=305.topic" target="top]this thread[/url]<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Did I miss something?<hr><br>
<br>
No, it was just rubbish.... <p>Volo anaticulam cumminosam meam!</p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.