Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Earth Roman sites
Quote:this is the article about the Roman site found..

Too bad he didn't give the coordinates: don't know them do you?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I think i have found it.

"Google Earth - New Placemark" lat=44.8818061149, lon=10.4224056748
Timeo Danaos et Dona ferentes

Andy.(Titus Scapula Clavicularis)
I have been looking and have come up with a few more.i wonder if there might be a use for a dedicated forum for google spottings.The Google earth Community maybe some where where we could store the various finds?
Timeo Danaos et Dona ferentes

Andy.(Titus Scapula Clavicularis)
here is a new image discovered.

http://www.romanhideout.com/images/it/s ... circus.asp
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Cool link! There's also something (two straight lines) between the house on the right edge and the centre of the 'circus'.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
There are in fact three but they don't look to be related to the circus. perhaps later features, even old field boundaries!
That circus look strange in the sense that it is symmetrical. Circuses have commonly one flatter edge to accomodate the carceres (chariot boxes) :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:That circus look strange in the sense that it is symmetrical. Circuses have commonly one flatter edge to accomodate the carceres (chariot boxes) :?
Maybe a later horse racing course then?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Also appears to be something to the northeast, some parallel lines? But is this a city or just a country race track?
If there is no city / town nearby, then I'll be it's a training track and there will be a villa somewhere.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
I have discovered that archeologists confirms that it is a circus. It will not be excavated, but it is a known archeologic site.-
Luca Bonacina
www.cisalpina.net
750 m hippodrome impressive!
interesting features nearby -
43°19'53.22"N
11°27'47.92"E
possible site could be that hill under the forest 750 m to the north from the hippodrome.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
HI Guys,

I hate to pour cold water on this but I have been informed that some jerk/s are actually overlaying the Google Earth maps. The 'Circus' is pretty much too good to be believed. Has anyone referred this to the relevent authority, ie do they know of its existence.
Try this one, see what you think 27 22'08.04N 33 37'58.69E
In November '05 we flew from Luxor to Cairo and you could clearly see a Roman fort some 30mins flying time from Cairo. This was in close proximity to a large Eye shape in the desert. I can't find this one, but it is something to look out for.

Alan
As I mentioned above, the circus is "officially" recognized by the Cultural Heritage in Italy, but no excavations are planned. When we made it public through the publication on RAT, it was already well known to the local authorities, at least they say so.
Luca Bonacina
www.cisalpina.net
this is probably another thread, but how about putting all these locations into a GPS points of interest format, so that they can be added into our GPS as custom sites? Isn't it just a CSV format, with name, address and coordinates?
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
I did it for Garmin devices on the page http://www.romanhideout.com/poi.asp

The file contains already this "discovery".

if you have a tomtom device I believe you can easily translate the .csv file into something compatible with that.
Luca Bonacina
www.cisalpina.net
Wonderful! Laudes to you Luca! Now, do that for the Limes, Hadrian's Wall, .....
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman sites in the Cotswolds Purplest 9 4,050 08-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Purplest
  The value of using Google Earth ValentinianVictrix 4 1,705 03-05-2012, 01:33 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Roman sites along the Danube Jona Lendering 28 7,118 06-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Arahne