Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muria
Just an idle speculation at this point, but - how well do we know what muria was? I know it is usually considered a variety of garum, but recently I stumbled once again (and more forcefully this time) over an entry in the 13th century Qitab al-Tabikh of al-Baghdadi (repeated throughout the entire manuscript tradition of the 'Description of familiar Foods, 14th through 17th centuries). He describes the making of a fermented grain sauce called "Murri of the Byzantines".

Murri > muria?

It would make sense to group this sauce with garum, not because both were made from fish but because both were made by fermentation. We know that garum survived into the Byzantine era - a recipe is given in the Geoponica - but I am not aware of having seen a recipe for muria anywhere. So, do we have a case for Greco-Roman Kikkoman?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
MOREA or SYKOMOREA a tree that gives nice sweet/sour berries.
The leaves are used as food for silkworm.

Its cultivation progresed in the West after Justininian learned from two monks the secret of silk production

The berries are being used for making sauses and stuffing for meats that come from hunting i.e hares, boars, reindeers etc etc.
Hope I helped.