Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
three new Osprey available today
Just got an email from Osprey:
Roman Auxiliary Cavalryman, Ancient Greek Fortifications 500-300 BC, and Bronze Age War Chariots are now published.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/list_by ... php/per=40
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Ancient Greek Fortifications 500-300 BC
Just picked up a copy of this one I liked the cover, but the writing isn't too good Sad Has anyone else gotten it?
** Vincula/Lucy **
Roman Auxiliary Cavalryman

Reviews, please....
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Bronze Age War Chariots: I've read Nic Fields' previous attempt called Mycenaean Citadels and didn't think much of it. I'd stay away from this one too. Cotterell's book about chariots is now discounted.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158567 ... oding=UTF8
It is far better and cheaper than Osprey's offering.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:Roman Auxiliary Cavalryman

Reviews, please....

I have this title for a few weeks. It's very good, especially illustrations. Describtion of cavalryman life like food supply, feeding horses, equipment and weapons is very good. Cavalry equipment is well discribe with numerous pictures. Tactics and strategy describe shortly. Photos of tombstones and reliefs are valuable despite there are not many.
Highly recommend.
Martin
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:2r453jm0 Wrote:Roman Auxiliary Cavalryman
Reviews, please....
I have this title for a few weeks. It's very good, especially illustrations. Describtion of cavalryman life like food supply, feeding horses, equipment and weapons is very good. Cavalry equipment is well discribe with numerous pictures. Tactics and strategy describe shortly. Photos of tombstones and reliefs are valuable despite there are not many.
Highly recommend.

Thanks!
What period is described?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:What period is described?

AD 14-193
Martin
Robert, do you have Late Roman Cavalryman AD 236-565? This Osprey title is particulary good. Most valuable are numerous photographs, not mentioning traditionaly excelent color plates. This title is follow-up of Roman Auxiliary Cavalryman. Describe training, equipment and campaigns. Despite brief text I suppose this is a very good book.
Martin
Quote:Robert, do you have Late Roman Cavalryman AD 236-565? This Osprey title is particulary good. Most valuable are numerous photographs, not mentioning traditionaly excelent color plates.

Of course I do. Big Grin
I don't consider it particularly good, by the way. It's OK I guess, but it's too shallow a study to be used asa reference. It's a good starters book, I'll grant you that, but that's the case with most Osprey books - great to start reading, but then move on.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:It's a good starters book, I'll grant you that, but that's the case with most Osprey books - great to start reading, but then move on.

You are absolutely right. 64 pages books must be automatically shallow Big Grin Osprey titles are fully understood to be basic for beginners (like me). What I do not like with Osprey is that informations are spread/divided among several titles which is a little bit expensive, more costly than being published in one 300-400 pages title.
Martin