Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flavia Gemina
You may not be familiar with Carolyn Lawrence's mysteries, whose characters are four kids and set in the first century, but the BBC is set to put five of these on the screen. If you haven't read them, they're great stories, even for hard bitten legionairies!

www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/01_january/23/cbbc.shtml
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Not just for kids. Lots of Adults number these among their book collections. A decent Tv series will help to keep Romans in the Public eye .
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
I have the whole set, and order them as they're published in the UK. Ms. Lawrence's world is a pretty violent one, and death is pretty matter of fact, even if they don't like it. She gets a lot of complaints that it's too realistic for children, but I pointed out to her that the real Grimm's fairy tales are pretty violent too, and that even in Beatrix Potter death is matter of fact (Peter Rabbit's dad was put in a pie by Mrs. McGregory). I also referred her to Bruno Bettelheim's "Meaning and Uses of Enchantment", which spends a lot of time analyzing kids and Grimm's tales.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Shameless plug time....you might also enjoy Warriors of Alavna (set in AD 75), and its sequel Warriors of Camlann (set in post Roman Britain). Dan (of Britannia) kindly gave my wife (the author) some real insights into what it was like in the later period, though any mistakes are entirely down to me and Mrs B. One embarassing interlude was when a battle map for Camlann was faxed through to my hotel room in Seoul, South Korea for my thoughts. South Korea still gets regular incursions from the North, and the concierge walked the fax up, saying " I thought it best to deliver this one personally, sir".....goodness knows what they thought the code of "Artorius cavalry charge" really stood for........ :oops:

[amazon]Warriors of Alavna, N.M.Browne[/amazon]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things