Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win a Greek helmet!
Elinor Wynn-Lloyd, of "It's All Greek" has offered a Greek helmet valued at £100 as a prize in our Games at the first International Ancient Greek Festival. She did not stipulate which event. Any suggestions? :roll:
In my opinion Pankration and Hoplitodromy are so far the most difficult undertakings. I think it must go to the winner there.
Kind regards
Slinging.... Big Grin

Cheers,
Adam
Gaius Opius Fugi (Adam Cripps)
Moderator, Roman Army Talkv2
Forum Rules: http://www.ancient-warfare.org/index.php...view=rules
if you can dent the helmet at a distance of 200m, it's yours! :wink:
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Any image of that helmet?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Dan,

Exactly! I'm thinking fustibulas (staff slings) would be even more fun....the 200 m shouldn't be too bad, but it will take some real skill in accuracy!

Cheers,
Adam
Gaius Opius Fugi (Adam Cripps)
Moderator, Roman Army Talkv2
Forum Rules: http://www.ancient-warfare.org/index.php...view=rules
Quote:In my opinion Pankration and Hoplitodromy are so far the most difficult undertakings. I think it must go to the winner there.
Kind regards

Well, as you know, the Hoplitodromy is already covered. Pankration sounds a good idea, assuming we get any entrants! For which event did you plan to present the Olive Oil, Stefanos?

By the way, could you organise some crowns of vine leaves (or should it be olive?) from among the Greeks? I can probably get some from English vineyards (yeah!) but I think the athletes would prefer the real thing, even if it's no longer fresh by the time they get it. What do you think?
Quote:Any image of that helmet?

Not yet. I'll try to get one posted asap.
I will only bring it. Paul I trust your experience or if you dont want to decide I will ask the peoples opinion as you did for the helmet.

As for the olives. I have a papurous cylinder and I will try to put some fresh olive branches the day before I take the plane.
Do you have laurel shrubs/bushes or you want me to try and bring some?
Kind regards
Several of my wealthy neighbours have laurel hedges - we should be able to get all we need. Is myrtle also a traditional plant for wreaths?
Khairete,
I thought myrtle was used for funeral wreathes, but I may be wrong on that.... :?

It was used during the Elusian Mysteries....
from Elements of the Religious Beliefs of the Ancient Greeks - Constantine D Kyriazis
The fifth day was devoted to the procession, or the return to Eleusis. The participants gathered at the Dipylon, dressed in their festive garb, and formed a very impressive and magnificent procession in which all the Athenian officials took part with the youths [ephebes] dressed in black mantles, with round shields, and carrying spears on their heads. The neophytes with their initiators, adorned with wreathes of myrtle, and dressed in festive robes, held in their hands the mystical bacchi which were branches of myrtle bound with threads of wool. The procession in the early years moved on foot and the only beast of burden allowed to participate was the donkey which carried the chattels. Later on, however, wagons were permitted to take part in the procession, but this custom was abolished in the 4th Century B.C. Wagons were allowed only for the priests and for transporting the sacred objects of the goddess. The procession moved off from Athens at the crack of dawn with a wooden statue of Iacchos in the lead holding a torch, and wreathed in myrtle, and took the road from the Dipylon to Eleusis which was known a little further out as the Sacred Way, and led down to the sea.
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Olive, Oak and Laurel were traditional wreathes for games....Myrtle was for weddings.....!!!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Olive tree wraith for Olympic winners

Laurel tree wraith for Pythia winners

Oak tree wraith for NEMEA winners

Pine tree wraith for ISTHMIA winners

Laurel tree wraith for heralds bringing the news of victory

Roses wraith for herald bringing the news of firstborn boy

Golden wraith (aka crown) for kings

Hope it helps