Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Governors & Garrison of Mauretania Caesariensis?
Ave

In spite of intensive searching I've been unable to find very much in respect of the Governors and Garrison of Mauretania Ceasariensis.

To my knowledge, there has been only one diploma found for this Province, which was annexed in 40 AD, CIL 16, 0056 = AE 1892, 0017, the details are as follows:-

CIL 16 56
RMD
TYPE No AUXILIARY UNIT E 107 Notes
Alis I Nerviana Augusta Fidelis m. 107
2 II Thracum Augusta p.f. 107 From GI
3 (I) (Augusta) Parthorum 107
Cohors I Augusta Nerviana Velox 107
2 I Corsorum c.R. 107
3 I Flavia Hispanorum equitata E 107
4 I Flavia Musulamiorum 107
5 I Nurritanorum 107
6 I Pannoniorum equitata E 107
7 II Breucorum 107
8 II Brittonum equitata E 107
9 II Gallorum 107
10 IIII Sugambrorum 107
ALIS & COHORS 3&10

Governor:- T(ito) Caesernio Macedone

If anyone has any information, more recent than 1892, please step forward.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo (aka Jim)
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Ave,

Further information has only now come to my attention. There is not one but four Roman Military Diplomas relating to Mauretania Caesariensis.

I've just finished compiling a list from www.romancoins.info/MilitaryDiploma1a.html , that superb site created and run by Andreas Pangerl or raeticus as he is known on this Forum.

I've read, possibly the most precise explaination of exactly what a Roman Military Diploma is, on the introduction page of that particular section of the web site.

Andreas, if you're reading this, can you point me in the right direction for the other three diplomas? Where will I find them? What journals were they published in?

Vale

~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave,

I've managed to track down two fragments of diplomas for Mauretania Caesariensis.

They were published by Peter Weiss in Chiron 32 for the year 2002.

The title of the article was "Ausgewahlte neue Militardiplome. Seltene Provinzen (Africa, Mauretania Caesariensis) spate Urkunden fur Pratorianer (Carracalla, Phillippus)".

I would be extremely grateful, if someone could take a copy of this article and transmit it to me?

Vale

~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave Spedius,

in ZPE 2005, 153 there is a new for the Caesariensis. It was issued 131 CE. The questrian legate was Vettius Latro, so he is known from 128 to 131 CE. It was for the soldier Diurdanus of the cohors I Flavia Musulamiorum (for this cohort see also CIL XVI 56; AE 1985,984). The prefect were only read as Iulius Ho....
Also his wive Zispier Zurosi fil and his five childs Decebalo filio, Dossaacho filio, Comadici filio, Dauappier filiae and Daeppier filiae were named

If you like an interesting episode, then you have to read Bonner Jahrbücher 2002/2003. Unfortunately, it plays in the Tingitana. After 140CE there were found a lot of in-scripted stones, called pax-stones. It belongs to the Discussion with the family prince in the Tingitana. In 180 the chief of the Baquates were called Canarta later Aurelius Canarta. His son Memor was sent to Rome to get educated. He died there with 16 years. He never saw his son again..........(CIL VI 1800)
Vale

Malko Linge

(Christian)
Quote:Ave Spedius,
in ZPE 2005, 153 there is a new for the Caesariensis. It was issued 131 CE. The questrian legate was Vettius Latro, so he is known from 128 to 131 CE. It was for the soldier Diurdanus of the cohors I Flavia Musulamiorum (for this cohort see also CIL XVI 56; AE 1985,984). The prefect were only read as Iulius Ho....
Also his wive Zispier Zurosi fil and his five childs Decebalo filio, Dossaacho filio, Comadici filio, Dauappier filiae and Daeppier filiae were named
If you like an interesting episode, then you have to read Bonner Jahrbücher 2002/2003. Unfortunately, it plays in the Tingitana. After 140CE there were found a lot of in-scripted stones, called pax-stones. It belongs to the Discussion with the family prince in the Tingitana. In 180 the chief of the Baquates were called Canarta later Aurelius Canarta. His son Memor was sent to Rome to get educated. He died there with 16 years. He never saw his son again..........(CIL VI 1800)
Vale
Malko Linge_________________
(Christian)

Ave Malko

Thank you for a most helpful answer to my appeal for help.

I have a few more details on M(arco) Vettio Latroni thanks to AE 1939, 0081, AE 1939, 0081a and AE 1939, 0081b. I have him down as governor of Mauretania Caesariensis in 128.

Do you have any more details of the diploma for 131? What were the emperor Hadrian's honorifics? How many ala and cohors were listed? What were their names? Who were the pair of consuls? What was the exact date of the diploma? Was the diploma complete or a fragment?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Provincial Governors 44 B.C Ptolemy Euergetes 2 1,700 02-23-2016, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Steven James
  Provincial Governors! Spedius 1 1,480 04-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Spedius
  Mauretania Tingitana Garrison! Spedius 1 1,207 02-18-2006, 02:26 PM