Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leg. III Cyrenaica Duty Roster
There is a translated Duty Roster which has been attributed to Leg. III Cyrenaica while in Egypt that appears in "The Complete Roman Army" by Adrian Goldsworthy (pg. 91 I believe)

I am wondering if there is any more information about this Roster, if there are more [pages], translated or not, available to look at? (of course, a picture/fax/written copy is fine, as much as I'd like to be able to see the real deal - not feasable)

There are a number of blank areas and incomplete information on the list in the book, is this because there are actual blank spaces? Or is translating the document difficult due to the deterioration of the piece/crummy Roman pendmanship?

What is the orginal written on? What are the dimensions?

Also, the name/title Cyrenaica itself, in reference to Cyrene, where the Legion was supposedly first stationed. Is Cyrene the Latin translitteration of the Greek (Kupeve?) and would the Latin "Y" pronounced such as the Greek Upsilon, being more like English "U" and not "Y"/"I"?

- Many thanks for any information.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Andy, Adrian Goldsworthy's translation on p.91 is complete; the document is a papyrus from Egypt, now in Geneva, with other military records on the back (or front!) of the papyrus. The blanks in his translation are because of blanks or unreadable sections of the papyrus, but there are some 'cells' in the tabular document with a straight line in them. According to Fink Roman Military Records on Papyrus, this may indicate the soldier was assigned the same duty as previously (a kind of ancient ditto), or that he was exempt from duty. Fink prefers the latter explanation.
The most easily accessible text and commentary is by Fink in said publication (it's Fink RMR9), but there's no picture - it's in the Biblioteque publique et universitaire in Geneva so that'd probably be the best place to start trying to track one down, unless you have a very good university library and can access the bibliography listed in Fink.

kate
Aaah! Many thanks for the information!
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Duty Roster for a Century in Legio III Stug50 3 846 12-12-2018, 03:48 PM
Last Post: impcaeavg