Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Osprey Roman Military Clothing illustrations on exhibition
All the illustrations from the three Osprey books on Roman Military clothing will be on exhibition again at:

The Oriental Museum, University of Durham

Picturing the Past
Archaeological reconstruction art by Graham Sumner and Richard Stansfield

11th February - 28th May
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
The Exhibition 'Picturing the Past, has now opened and is on display at The Old Fulling Mill Museum of Archaeology, Durham a branch of the University's Oriental Museum. The setting is right besides the River Wear beneath the Castle and Cathedral familiar from every picture postcard view of Durham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Here's some pics, by request of Graham.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Many thanks for posting the pictures Jasper!

Just to avoid confusion, the lower picture shows the exhibition when it was at the Grosvenor Museum in Chester last year.

Graham.

Are they for sale or part of someone's permanent collection?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:Are they for sale or part of someone's permanent collection?

Well at the moment they seem destined to be part of my permanent collection as I have had no offers.

However in the short term I am trying to get them on display in as many venues as practicable as at least it gets them out of the house!

Graham.

Quote:
Quote:Are they for sale or part of someone's permanent collection?
Well at the moment they seem destined to be part of my permanent collection as I have had no offers.
I'm not sure if I could afford it but the one with Aetius and the Hun would be sure to get a special place...
Quote:However in the short term I am trying to get them on display in as many venues as practicable as at least it gets them out of the house!
It would be great if they could come to The Netherlands somehow, especially with the Late Roman event in July and the Roman event in August...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:It would be great if they could come to The Netherlands somehow, especially with the Late Roman event in July and the Roman event in August...
Yes, I hope we can see it there!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:It would be great if they could come to The Netherlands somehow, especially with the Late Roman event in July and the Roman event in August...

I would be more than happy for the exhibition to travel to The Netherlands. Is that something you would be willing to organise Robert? It finishes in Durham at the end of May.

Ivan I have booked my holiday in Barcelona and Tarragona so I hope to see you there!

OK, email me the dates and we'll meet, ok?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:Well at the moment they seem destined to be part of my permanent collection as I have had no offers.

Shame I'm not local; can only imagine what shipping would cost. Still, is there a price list for them? You can send me off line if you'd like.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Richard Campbell wrote:

Quote:Shame I'm not local; can only imagine what shipping would cost. Still, is there a price list for them? You can send me off line if you'd like.

Hello Richard

The cost for this type of work seems to be around £300-350 for each artwork.

Graham.

That's not bad at all. I should fly over to see these.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Thanks for replying Richard. I was beginning to think that as soon as I had mentioned money this thread was finished!

Hopefully the exhibition will travel further afield in the future

Graham.

Graham,

Is there any chance of the exhibition coming to the U.S.?
Historia est vitae magistra

<a class="postlink" href="http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii54/AGLopez_Artist/">http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii54/AGLopez_Artist/

<a class="postlink" href="http://albert-g-lopez.deviantart.com/">http://albert-g-lopez.deviantart.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vindolanda Military Paintings Exhibition Graham Sumner 2 1,277 08-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner