Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I wish I understood German!
Quote:Didn't you know? There are three more Coh Cl!

Ave Jasper,

I've checked my Provincial lists and the coh classica appears with five different names.

01. I Aelia classica - Arabia - 141/2
02. II Aurelia classica - Arabia - 141/2
03. I Aelia classica equitata - Britannia - 145/6, 158(27.Feb)
04. I classica (p.f.) - Germania inferior - 80, 89, 98, 127, 152, 158(Jul)
05. II classica (sagittaria) - Syria - 88, 157

John Spaul in Cohors2 has only two entries for coh classica. Items 01, 03 and 04, on my list, he would have considered to be one. (We have two diplomas for 158 with I classica apparently in two places at the same time, hmmm!) I would assume he would also consider items 02 and 05 to be the same. As his book was published in 2000 (pre RMD IV) he wouldn't have known of the Germania inferior diplomas of 89, 98, 127 and 152 or of the Arabian diploma.

Does the above tie in with your findings?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo (aka Jim)
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Yep
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Excellent database for periodicals is
Bulletin Analytique d'Histoire Romaine
http://misha1.u-strasbg.fr/flora/servlet/LoginServlet
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Wonderful! Thank you so much Arahne - had compeltely forgotten about it! :oops:
Christoph Rummel
Quote:as for access to other periodicals - have you got JSTOR access ( www.jstor.org ) - they have a fair amount of decent stuff there...and I'm sure some military diplomata are included!
Will have a quick look into the article you specified some time this week and let you know the basics.
Hope all's well,
C.

Ave Cristoph,

I did have access to JSTOR for JRS and Britannia, and was only allowed to view the contents of those two publications and no others. I was able to download copies of all of the interesting articles from JRS and Britannia.

With regards to the "Arabian" article, do what you can when you can, don't put it at the top of your priorities list.

Regards,

Vale

~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Quote:Excellent database for periodicals is
Bulletin Analytique d'Histoire Romaine
http://misha1.u-strasbg.fr/flora/servlet/LoginServlet

Ave Arahne,

Thank you very much for your link.

I've tried it but I'm having problems with my lack of Java Script or maybe Internet Explorer is protecting me from sites with "active content". So I wasn't able to see what was in it. Perhaps you could be kind enough to describe what I would discover?

Many thanks.

Vale

~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave all,

Does anyone have access to the journal named Chiron?

It would appear that, next to ZPE, Chiron is one of the more popular journals in which to publish new Roman Military Diploma finds. Unlike ZPE, Chiron don't seem to have similar download facilities, which is a shame.

If possible, I would like copies of any articles from Chiron on or about Roman Military Diplomas, initially for 2005.

If anyone could help with this request, I would most gratefully ask for a list of relevant articles.

Thanking you in advance.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~