Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggest books here
This is a little off topic, but I have some (what I think is) good news. Through my college I was able to have a copy of The Armour of Imperial Rome, by Robinson, shipped to my school for me to borrow until mid April. Though I'm sure it's probably (ok, is) illegal, I'm planning on making a photocopy of the book. A $500 price tag is outragious for a book that ought to still be in print. This book is AWESOME! I'm also thinking of seeing if I can actually by the book from the library at a much lower price, if they have no idea what it is now worth. I doubt they would have let me borrow it if they knew it was worth $500. I wonder, is it illegal for me to post some pics from it on here? It might be really useful.
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
Quote:Just finished Tom Holland's Rubicon. A really exciting read. It depicts the end of the Republic with sections on earlier history and chapters on Marius and Sulla etc... For a non-fiction book it reads like a fast paced novel, often a rare thing in a non fiction book. I recommend it wholeheartedly..

I was recommended this book by my Class Civ teacher and it was in my opinion the most interesting non-fiction book I've ever read. It reads like a story albeit an informative one. It entertains as well as informs so it isn't too heavy like some non-fiction books but it still gives a good incite to the "Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic".
Jeremy Latcham
Quae caret ora cruore nostro?
"Outline of History by H.G. Wells" ( non-fiction ) is a very good read. For fiction the latest I have read is " The Children of Earth series by Jean M. Auel". It may have been too romance novelly at times but the survival/crafting was genuine and I liked the travel across pre-historic Europe thing. I have been waiting very IMPATIENTLY for the next installment.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
I'd like to suggest my own books - 'Moments in Time' and 'The Weight of Time' which are books I and II in the 'Chronicles of Eternity' series. They tell the story of Graecus, a young auxiliary Centurion in his first command at a tiny encampment in Lower Germania who is given a dirty little slave boy at a market who turns his life upside own and makes him begin to question his oath to Nero. The books have a lot of detail about the every day life of the men and their comradeship together with gripping battle scenes. Book III 'A Capital Time' will be out in November 2010. The books are published by Derwen Publishing and can be obtained online from www.chroniclesofeternity.co.uk . I really hope you enjoy my work as much as I enjoy writing it.
One of my favs is called "Druids" by Morgan Llewellyn. It' s about the battle between Vercingetorix & Ceasar. It's a nice piece of historical fiction, featuring real documented characters as well as fictional characters added to flesh out the story. I have to warn you though, it's from the Gallic point of view, but i find it interesting because it allows some room for creativity and imagination, while still being somewhat historically accurate (featuring the real battles, tribal names, etc.). It tells the tale of Ainvar, who becomes a Druid and advisor to Vercingetorix. Both polar opposites but become good friends. It really stirs the imagination with what Druid rites may have been like and even has vercingetorix go through "man making" as youth with some of his peers. It shows the journey of one youth to become a druid, and the other a warrior, ultimately culminating in the confrontation with Ceasar & the Gallic wars. You can get it in paperback for cheap I think. This book actually made me tear at the end :oops:
Todd Franks

"The whole race is madly fond of war, high spirited and quick to battle, but otherwise straightforward and not of evil character." - Strabo on the Celts
By your description the book was made into a movie with Christopher Lambert. It was called "Druids" as well.
[url:306in6iv]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199481/[/url]
Craig Bellofatto

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Quote:By your description the book was made into a movie with Christopher Lambert. It was called "Druids" as well.
[url:3d9xm8gt]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199481/[/url]
Yeah, i've seen that movie. It's similar in the manner that they are both from the Gallic point of view, but the book has no relation to that movie as far as I know. I mean, maybe it could have been inspired by the book in some way, but I don't know. That was a french movie so it seems likely that such a movie would have been made about him anyways, at some point, with him being somewhat of a national hero and all. In France the movie was called "Vercingetorix", but to the American market they changed it to Druids. The book is very different (different characters & sub-plots etc.) much more engrossing and gives a look at what tribal life in Gaul may have been like. It's pretty neat.
Todd Franks

"The whole race is madly fond of war, high spirited and quick to battle, but otherwise straightforward and not of evil character." - Strabo on the Celts
I will have to look for that one. Big Grin
Craig Bellofatto

I just recently read Victor Davis Hanson's 'The Western way of war' and I highly recommend this to anyone interested in ancient warfare. While primarily focused on Greek hoplite/phalanx warfare it covers topics ranging from ancient Greece to the much later Swiss Pikemen. Hanson's description of ancient combat is amazingly vivid, giving the reader a hoplite's view of the battlefield. Hanson is also not afraid to tackle subjects such as alchohol abuse in ancient armies.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Just finished: 'The Book Of The Sword', by Richard F. Burton, a fascinating work from over a century ago by a man who was well travelled and had actually fought with a sword. The author covers many subjects during his narrative on the ancient weapon and quotes many Classical historians such as; Herodotus, Plutarch etc.

Anyone interested in the sword and it's vast history should read this interesting book.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Hi There I have not long finished reading a series of books by Simon Scarrow,Starts off with Centurion and follows the exploits of 2 centurions,7 books in all now all in paper back and a new one out in November this year called Legion.
Hi There,my first name is Michael.
Ple3ase advise how I delete previous messages already read.

Thank You
Hi There,further to my recent post about books which might be of interest,you may like to consider the Eagle Series by Simon Scarrow,he is releasing a new book in November called Legion.

Michael
Hi There,my first name is Michael.
Ple3ase advise how I delete previous messages already read.

Thank You
Good morning -

This MAY be way off topic - but if you have any interest in the fantasy/magic genre, I have enjoyed the series by Steven Erikson, "The Malazan Book of the Fallen." The first book is Gardens of the Moon, then Deadhouse Gates, and there are quite a few others.

The basis for his Malazan Empire and its army is Rome and its legions. His character development and battle accounts are superb. He isn't shy about including concepts of divinity, either. I was constantly reminded of Greek hero veneration or the Imperial Cult (and Vespasian's deathbed quote: "Alas, I think I'm becoming a god!")

Enjoy!

John
Gauis Julius Quartus / John Christianson

Multum cum in omnibus rebus tum in re militari potest fortuna. (Caesar, BG, VI.30)
What happened to this book? :?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spartan-Army-J-F..._rhf_p_t_2

I signed up with Amazon to be let know when this surfaced. I waited months for this reissue to be announced and got an email the other day saying it was unavailable! Has it been republished or not? I wish I knew what was going on. Who wants to pay £300 for a copy of the original (very amateurish) print anyway? :x
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:What happened to this book? :?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spartan-Army-J-F..._rhf_p_t_2

I signed up with Amazon to be let know when this surfaced. I waited months for this reissue to be announced and got an email the other day saying it was unavailable! Has it been republished or not? I wish I knew what was going on. Who wants to pay £300 for a copy of the original (very amateurish) print anyway? :x

'Technical difficulties' is all I'm prepared to say. It should finally be out 'soon' - hopefully by March or April. Sorry! When it does finally emerge it should be £19.99, so a bargain worth waiting for compared to £300 for a second-hand one.

Phil Sidnell
Commissioning Editor (Ancient military history)
Pen & Sword Books