Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggest books here
Jack Whyte is a wonderful author and I too enjoy the Camulod chronicles!
How far along are you in the series? I'm up to "Uther".
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:Jack Whyte is a wonderful author and I too enjoy the Camulod chronicles!
How far along are you in the series? I'm up to "Uther".

I am on "The Saxon Shore." I love this book series.
Andy Pierucci
Stockton, California USA
A nice read but total fantasy. I got disappointed after book three. Cry
I still have to read Uther , but I put it off until I get the latest ones, The Lace Thrower (guess who that'll be about! :twisted: ) and the last one, Eagle.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I have read this too and loved it. I did a little research on Pressfield, and I don't think we'll get a better historical/fictional account of what Thermopylae may have been like than his. He is a member of the Leonidas Expedition and this summer he, and others including a team of archaeologists, will be going to Thermopylae to try to find the exact spot where they made their last stand. Doing a little research on my own, he seems to have hit the mark with what is generally agreed upon. There is an interesting website by a reenactor and another member of the expedition at www.300spartanwarriors.com . Ygraine

Quote:I read "Gates of Fire" by
Steven Pressfield and enjoyed it
very much. I don't usually read historical fiction
but found it engaging.
Wouldn't mind a re-read and discussion.
Many points I would like to ask RAT members.
Victoria
I love the name of honor more than I fear death. Julius Caesar
Quote:A nice read but total fantasy. I got disappointed after book three. Cry

Fantasy, absolutely ... I've only seen the titles in the Fantasy section of the bookstore, but as you say, A Good Read! :wink: Smile

This series was what got me interested in learning more about Rome, so I believe it has its merits.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:This series was what got me interested in learning more about Rome, so I believe it has its merits.

In that case --hurray for Jack! :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Just finished Tom Holland's Rubicon. A really exciting read. It depicts the end of the Republic with sections on earlier history and chapters on Marius and Sulla etc... For a non-fiction book it reads like a fast paced novel, often a rare thing in a non fiction book. I recommend it wholeheartedly..
Martin
I have already mentioned "On The Trail Of The Legions" in the indispensable books list, however I do think I should mention it again here also. This book by the late Raymond Selkirk is one that should be read by all who claim to be followers of Roman history, for this man has completely re written the Roman history of Brittain with the work that he carried out in his life time. Indeed his 255 line frontier throws a new light completely over Hadrians' Wall, it may infact explain just why the Emperor did build it in the way he did.
Brian Stobbs
i just bought the fist of the series medicus i read 5 chapters on my lunch
break last night when i got home i could not put it down finished it at 4am this moring great historical fiction
Quintus Augustus
roy hollar

so shall it be written
so shall it be done
Quote:YOU SHOULD READ THE LAST LEGION
THEY HAVE NOW MADE A FILM ABOUT IT AND IT LOOKS A!W!E!S!O!M!E Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

Valerio Massimo Manfredi in his book 'The Last Legion' described a world which was increasingly losing touch with its classical heritage - the germanisation of the Army, the decay of towns, vulgar latin starting to develop into dialects which would one day become separate languages and ineffectual emperors manipulated by powerful courtiers, some of whom were part German themselves. Also he describes places such as Neapolis - still greek speaking, with most of its populace still ignorant as to the change which had occured, because life went on as it had always done. Visigoths are described by the Romans of the time as 'Staunch Allies' - which by then, they had been, for a few decades. The main character several times poses the question 'Why do people not realise what is happening?'

The film was a masterpiece - it managed to miss all of this out, and a lot more besides!
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
I was hoping to see some Roman/History research books here, but oh well. Everyone is posting fiction novels so I might as well.
My favorite series is The Wheel of Time series by the late Robert Jordan. The last book is supposed to come out this year, even though someone else had to finish part of it cause he died in the middle of it. Awesome series though, addicting.
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
A Short History of Byzantium - Lord John Julius Norwich

I purchased a copy on vacation many years ago...and thus began my obsession with the Eastern Roman Empire. Not always historically accurate, but very well-written and a terrific read.
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I
I second that! It's a great book to get an overview. I found myself asking the "whys" a lot. If I have more time, the long version (a couple of volumes) is on my reading list.
Cheryl Boeckmann
The three-volume set will not take you very long. His prose is excellent and you won't want to put it down!

While we are on the topic of surveys, A.H.M. Jones' two-volume work, The Later Roman Empire, is still the best for the given time period in my opinion. A History of the Byzantine State and Society by Warren Treadgold is great. A lot of Byzantinists dog his work because, apparently, he is a huge jerk. But it is the most comprehensive and up-to-date survey.
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I
Quote:Just finished Tom Holland's Rubicon. A really exciting read. It depicts the end of the Republic with sections on earlier history and chapters on Marius and Sulla etc... For a non-fiction book it reads like a fast paced novel, often a rare thing in a non fiction book. I recommend it wholeheartedly..
I'll have to pick it up, I've been debating buying this one for a week or so now.
- Jonathan H