Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trier shields book
Does anybody have images from 1996 Groetherd's (or Groethert?) Late Roman Egyptian shields from Trier book? I'm specially interested in the 10 points star shield device.

Thanx in advance.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
I just borrowed it from Andreas, I'll make some scans soon. But don't get overexited, it's just a few scarps of leather. the author won't even guess how large the shields were, and though is reconstructions are of round shields even that can't be determined.
But there are some nice details.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanx mate! I was reading the Dura Europos final report and it talked about it.
Ivan Perelló
Robert,
The author is able to determine the diameter of the shields and they were clearly round...
I'd wish there wore more scraps of leather like those hanging around by there! :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Robert,
The author is able to determine the diameter of the shields and they were clearly round...
I'd wish there wore more scraps of leather like those hanging around by there! :wink:

Aitor
Simon James doesn't say so, in the Dura Europos final report he goes for Oval for the Trier shields.

But I'd thank if you can send me pics too :wink:
Ivan Perelló
Quote:Robert,
I should have read the article again, I missed him giving diameter measurements. Shield 1 ('ornament shield'-I'm not sure why) he estimates as 103 cm wide, shield 2 ('hunting shield') he estimates at 108 cm wide, shield 3 ('war shield') is estimated at 98 cm. I think the estimates for 1 and 2 are fairly large.
Also, I know the reconstructions are round, but the scraps can easily be rearranged to get more oval result. There's just too few material around to be really sure here. Which is why I can't say I'm in favour of the result or not.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
We already found the book. Thanks for our help comilites... :wink:
Ivan Perelló
Ivan,
I made a crappy Spanish translation of that paper several years ago... 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Could you please send it to me? Smile
Ivan Perelló
Of course, this very afternoon! Big Grin

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Ezkerrik asko! (thanx!)
Ivan Perelló