Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bookclub...?
Ok, wake up now! This is not your 60+ Tuesday evening book discussion group, this is a good idea! (Well, I hope so).
How's about any number of RAT-ers choose a recent book on ancient warfare, we all read it and then discuss it here on RAT for the benefit of ourselves and those who didn't read it.
Why? It would be fun. It would also mean that those with specialized education and those without would at least have read something similar and could all discuss it usefully.

My suggestion for the first book to discuss would be [amazon]J.E. Lendon, Soldiers and Ghosts[/amazon] on the influences of culture on the way Greeks and Romans fought. It's basically an explanation of tactics from a cultural standpoint and a very stimulating book.

Who's up for it?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Sign me up!
It's always a good way to see things you missed in the first reading, too.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
I'll order it today.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Ok, wake up now! This is not your 60+ Tuesday evening book discussion group, this is a good idea! (Well, I hope so).
How's about any number of RAT-ers choose a recent book on ancient warfare, we all read it and then discuss it here on RAT for the benefit of ourselves and those who didn't read it.
Why? It would be fun. It would also mean that those with specialized education and those without would at least have read something similar and could all discuss it usefully.

My suggestion for the first book to discuss would be [amazon]J.E. Lendon, Soldiers and Ghosts[/amazon] on the influences of culture on the way Greeks and Romans fought. It's basically an explanation of tactics from a cultural standpoint and a very stimulating book.

Who's up for it?
Iam especially with ghosts in the title. Do you have a ISBN # for this book??Flavia aks Carolina
0-300-10663-7

Best wishes
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Flavia, to avoid disappointment, it's not about Ghosts as spirits of the dead wandering about, more the ghost of their ideas!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Flavia, to avoid disappointment, it's not about Ghosts as spirits of the dead wandering about, more the ghost of their ideas!
That's OK Istill think I will enjoy it. Flavia aka Carolina
Is there a RAT link to the book (for USA or UK Amazon?) Might as well make a small amount of money in referals
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Yep, the links in Jasper's first message refer to Amazon via RAT, for the US, UK, Germany, and Canada...
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Greetings,
I wouldn't mind if I can get a cheaper copy, it looks interesting and well worth it......!
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Says used and new from $15.50...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys