Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ermine Street
Hey Romans,

Who knows if Ermine Street was a prehistoric road? Any reference I find on it is quick to point out that the Romans used it, but was there before? It's more or less a direct path from London to Lincoln and York, and there must have been pre-roman trade routes. Has anyone found evidence that this road was used in the Iron Age?

Also, since we are on the topic of roads, where could one find a map of Icknield Way? Now that is reported to be one of Britains oldest roads, but a decent map online proves to be elusive. It even appears absent from this:
www.romans-in-britain.org.uk/map_romans_roads_in_britain.htm
Yea, there are some Walking Maps, but those just don't show where it really is!
Lugorix

aka:  Jeffrey Adam Scharp
Quote:Hey Romans,
Who knows if Ermine Street was a prehistoric road? Any reference I find on it is quick to point out that the Romans used it, but was there before? It's more or less a direct path from London to Lincoln and York, and there must have been pre-roman trade routes. Has anyone found evidence that this road was used in the Iron Age?

Although no-one disputes that pre-Roman roadfs and long-distance trade-routes exited, all agree that these were routes from settlement to settlement, not the great straight lines the Romans became famous for.
Well, maybe except for Gilbert, Wilson & Blackett (The Holy Kingdom), who boldly claimed all Roman roads in Britain (and the walls of London to boot) were built by the British Celts. :evil:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
"Well, maybe except for Gilbert, Wilson & Blackett (The Holy Kingdom), who boldly claimed all Roman roads in Britain (and the walls of London to boot) were built by the British Celts"

Come on now ..everyone knows that McAlpine build the Collouseum so why not Ermine Street :roll:
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:Come on now ..everyone knows that McAlpine build the Collouseum so why not Ermine Street :roll:
I say prove that Sir!! :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
The contracts were held by the druids so are in a cave somewhere in Walesland.

As you can see its not yet finished ( a bit like new Wembley :oops: ) so please dont tell the Italians or they will want to charge penalties :wink:
Conal Moran

Yoda
Quote:The contracts were held by the druids so are in a cave somewhere in Walesland.
That's a fib since Druids never wrote anything down - they're famous for not having any thumbs so they could not write... :twisted:
So the contract must've been a verbal agreement. I bet they're still extending the delivery date every year.

Quote:As you can see its not yet finished (a bit like new Wembley :oops: ) so please dont tell the Italians or they will want to charge penalties :wink:
Oh I know - in fact the people who brought us dna-research about the Anglo-Saxon invasion use that as a cover (it's quite clear when you think about it). In fact, they are carrying out a nationwide dna survey to find the direct descendant of the contractor - so he may pay the fine!! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I think they have it on tape. That big stone tape recorder just of the A303 near Salisbury. There are smaller ones dotted around but all big business was done at the Henge.
Conal Moran

Yoda