Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fighting?
As an ARMA member I plan on doing gladius fighting full contact with all strikes and trustes allowed (using rudius and fencingmask and some other protective gear) and grappling! Is there any groups out there who research in a simillar way? Would be nice to exchange expereiences and theories with you guys.

Martin
The Vicus does this- nice people, and Madoc posts here as well.
http://www.vicus.org.uk/

Cheers

Britannicus
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
In Marcus Junkelmann's group, Familia Gladiatoria Pulli Cornicinis we do the gladiator fights that way, free (not choreographed) fights with wooden weapons (except for the trident, which is metall with blunt, cork and leather coverd tips and no barbs).

cheers,

Martin
Thanx a million, Paul.

Hopfully in the future Me and the boys will have a friendly bout or two with them Tongue .

Ummos, is this don according to simillar rules as "the Vike" haerkamp rules. (Been told thats kind of common re-enactment rules for combat in northwest europe at least.) What we do in ARMA ( www.thearma.org ) is "leathal" techniques out of manuals beginning with I:33 ca:1290 and later German and Italian sources (mainly). But in our new group we will research the Roman weaponry, altough the sources will be much more sporadic. We will start in the basic knowlage we have on onehanded swords from the ARMA and combine it with the daggerplay (rondell-daggers) we train already, and spice it up with the sources we could get our hands on.

Salve, patres!
Hi Martin,
In the Vicus we dont do full contact, we do a competetive fighting within a limited target & rule range.
However all our fighting is done with rebated steel so we have to be carefull.

Some of our members do other forms of fight training too, for example I'm also a member of the EHCG ( http://www.ehcg.net ) which is a historic fighting type group.

Some of the EHCG members are also interested in Roman fighting & hopefully we'll be trying things out as you want to, with wasters & face protection (sadly lacking in Roman helmets).

Adam
Adam Rudling
The Vicus - recreating life in 1st Century Britain
Hi Adam!

Thank you for the answer. Yes I am familliar with the EHCG, some of the Swedish WMA guys met with them at Dijon I belive. They are good fighters Tongue

Hope they get something together so we can exchange knowlage. (And a few bouts if the oppertunity arise.)

I plan on presenting my first veiws on the gladius in a few weeks. I´m going to post it on www.myarmoury.com but I can post it here to if there is of interesst here.

Martin
Martin, have you seen / read Stephen Hand's work on large shield fighting in SPADA 1 & 2 from Chivalry Bookshelf ?

His interpretations on fighting with long sword & large shields are quite interesting, & somewhat different from ARMA teachings (if I remember correctly).

You'll find with the galdius that you have to get in really close, so a lot of the combat techniques revolve around closing & leaving danger range / good shield work.

Also rememeber that a gladius is very good at quick close chops as well as stabbing.

Adam

ps dont even make me comment on the flat vs edge parry thing ARMA teach / are obsessed by Big Grin
Adam Rudling
The Vicus - recreating life in 1st Century Britain
Yepp. I´ve tried some of his interpretations!

We have like all groups (ARMA, HEMAC, AEMMA, SSOD) have somewhat moving interpretations. This summer lit of the longswordfighting got a lookover by some of us here in Sweden. Lots of new intressting ideas on how to use them. Feel free to look at the www.thearma.org forum and se some of the duscussions there.

Ps, depends on weapon but if we would meet up I will show you that Parrys hardly exist. Its counterattacs and defletions. But if you start to hack with your edge on my new Albion NG Talhoffer I will go into Ringen am Swerde :twisted: Big Grin D
Tjena Martin! Hur är laget?

Nice to see some other scandinavian romans. We, legio xv from oslo, also do a lot of steel- weapon fighting based on the haerkamp rules, as can be seen on our site: legxv.laiv.org.
We have found that the short lenght of our swords is a real handicap against skilled opponents (among them a some swedish viking groups). But our shields keep us alive for days on end.

Where does your group stay? Do you have a website? What are your experiences with roman figthing ?

If you live near the border and have the weekend 10/2- 12/2 off, why don't you come to the practice weekend nexth month? Lots of swedes there, i'll wager: http://www.ovss.no/vinter.htm

Lykke til, og vokt dem for strids- älgen!
Magnus HÃ¥kenstad
Consvl, Legio XV, Norway

Is there anybody here who has got anything else they\'d rather be doing than marching UP and DOWN the square!!?
Quote:Tjena Martin! Hur är laget?

Nice to see some other scandinavian romans. We, legio xv from oslo, also do a lot of steel- weapon fighting based on the haerkamp rules, as can be seen on our site: legxv.laiv.org.
We have found that the short lenght of our swords is a real handicap against skilled opponents (among them a some swedish viking groups). But our shields keep us alive for days on end.

Where does your group stay? Do you have a website? What are your experiences with roman figthing ?

If you live near the border and have the weekend 10/2- 12/2 off, why don't you come to the practice weekend nexth month? Lots of swedes there, i'll wager: http://www.ovss.no/vinter.htm

Lykke til, og vokt dem for strids- älgen!

Hejsan!

We are right now in the starting racks and dont have any good kit and stuff. The training we do roman-wise is with rudius and oval shield. The training is done according to ARMA rules (i.e. no-rules, it´s ok to kick, stab anywhere, attack scrotum, grapple, anything goes.) We try to get a grip on what you can and can´t do with the gladius. The group is basically a few of our ARMA Östersund members with a passion for Rome. The reson for starting up the group is that we like the kit and ARMA don´t include roman fighting in the curiculum according to the lack of good sources on the fighting art of the Romans comparing to the manuals of later eras. Oh yeah, forgot... We are in Östersund, Jämtland (250 kilometers east of Trondheim.

And I understand that you kick **** with the Vike-mob. The ones I fought so far i´sn´t that hard. Starts to cry and wimper when you close in and grapple and breake spearss and stuff. (Irony)

To be truthfull a few of our ARMA members is from the local Vike scene.

BTW do you know Elling from bergen? He and I are on daily chatting basis and has told me many good things about the Oslo-romans!

Love to hook up some time. Maybe at Bohus fästnings Medieval Days or something.

Martin (Sorry for the OT)
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your invitation about exchange experiences and theories in the full contact fighting in the roman re-enactment.

We do also full contact fighting in the roman re-enactment.

Martin (and others) – when you have opportunity we can try to organize a meeting in Portugal or in the Scandinavian region in 2007 to share experiences on this area.

Until end February (this year…) our home page will be in English – it will be easy to the others re-enactors see and pick-up more information’s about our work in this domain (training and materials).

Salve!

Alexius
Primus Inter Pares

Cetobrigus Alexius / Alexandre de Setúbal