Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ecnomus
I have reread The First Punic War,Lazenby, John last week and he has an analysis of the numbers involved at Ecnomus.

Armies as mentioned like "I quoted earlier, Constantine vs. Licinius together had more than 260.000 in the field. And was Darius III not supposed to have had an army numbering 300.000 or something at Gaugamela?" are NOT reliable.

The numbers given for Julian fighting the Allemans are 10.000 - 12.000 and his adversaries 20.000 - 25.000 and this was given by Ammianus Marcellinus. And this was a writer familiar with the Roman Army. Wat I mean is that Zosimus in not reliable for numbers. And how would it be possible to maneuver an army as vast as 160.000 men?
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
I've used Lancell's book on the First Punic War; he discusses the numbers and sides with the high estimates, but he does not address the "undermanned ships argument" mentioned by Jasper and Inaki. I think I will include a reference to it in my book. And I will check Lazenby, of course.

Thanks all!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Besides Belloch old book on Roman population, I think Brunt in "Italian Manpower" has also an analysis on numbers that could be useful to you
AKA Inaki

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wedge formation in Ecnomus: myth or reality? eugene 5 2,042 01-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius