Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Simkins Reconstructions
I cant recall off hand but in one of the Osprey books or his Warriors of Rome he has reconstructed a waisted gladius based on a blade from Strasbourg.

can nayone please point me to an image of the original or have a picture ?

Cheers

Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
I'll have a look in all three books and send you a picture if you want.
I'm sure I have your email somewhere but please send me a PM to be completely sure. :?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks Robert I have the books at home and some time ago found a large picture on the web but cant trace it now.

I was really after a picture of the original blade as it seems to have had a much shortyer point than the usual Mainz reconstructions.

I have PMd you just in case.

Conal
Conal Moran

Yoda
Hi Conal,

Is this the one: [url:8a73oajp]http://www.musee-strasbourg.org/musee_archeo/base-donnees/images/gallo-rom/a-l/gfourreau.htm[/url]?
Epée et son fourreau, Strasbourg-Koenigshoffen, milieu du 1er siècle après J.C.
Cette épée et son étui (ou fourreau), appartenaient à un légionnaire qui faisait partie de la légion présente à Strasbourg au 1er siècle après J.C. Le fourreau est décoré de symboles de victoire et de protection. Peut-être ont-ils été perdus dans un combat ou ont-ils été-offerts dans un sanctuaire ?

Translation:
Sword and its scabbard, Strasbourg-Königshoffen, period 1st c. AD.
This sword and its case (or scabbard) belonged to a legionary who belonged to the legion present in Strasbourg at the 1st century AD. The scabbard is decorated with symbols of victory and protection. Perhaps were they lost in a combat or displayed in a sanctuary?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
And seems the blade is plain in section and not diamond-shaped.
Sorry guys I got the wrong sword ... :oops: ... it was the Chichester gladius he reproduced which I am interesed in.

Does anyone know it ?
Conal Moran

Yoda
I found a picture .... very corroded though.
Conal Moran

Yoda