Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aspis...
The recomstruction of the "Chigi Vase" hoplites on Osphrys "Spartan Army" intrpretes the hoplon like wooden "floor-parket-like" structure.
Pegged or nailed with glue(??). Well people knew how to make wheels so a round encasing for holding the bronze outer layer is an intersting thought.
Would a segmented shiled withstand blows.
It was the segmentata thread that geve me the thought.
Any comments please?
Kind regards
I think that the construction method which appears to be depicted on the Chigi vase is a kind of plywood, probably three layers deep, like the Dura Europus scutum. As I've said before, I think Wulf Guy-Ragan has made shields this way. Piecing it together with just one layer would leave it very weak. You can't make a bowl from ready-made sheets of plywood, but piecing each layer allows you to get the curves into the material where you want them. A shield made like this could be lighter and stronger than one made from planks.
Quote:I think that the construction method which appears to be depicted on the Chigi vase is a kind of plywood, probably three layers deep, like the Dura Europus scutum. As I've said before, I think Wulf Guy-Ragan has made shields this way. Piecing it together with just one layer would leave it very weak. You can't make a bowl from ready-made sheets of plywood, but piecing each layer allows you to get the curves into the material where you want them. A shield made like this could be lighter and stronger than one made from planks.
Will ther be examples of this shields at the event?
I really want to examine one?
Kind regards
Wulf can be as elusive as his namesake, but I'll certainly try to get him there; he does turn out for most Hoplite Association events.
Did Wulf made his own shield or had it made for him?
What about the cost?
And by the way hoe is it going you shield project?
Kind regards
Wulf will be there and may be persuaded to run a workshop. He does make shields and several of his will be on display among The Hoplite Association. They are hand-crafted in England, so they cost a packet! Around £350-£400, if I remember rightly. I think that's similar to Manning Imperial's prices.

My Mark II shield and its copies were supposed to arrive last week. Obviously, they didn't. It's like having Christmas postponed! The shields for sale will, however, definitely be available in time for the Festival because shipping large numbers to the UK distributor is easier than sending a few to me.

I am making an aspis for Phil Reaney, because he needs one made to measure. Like Wulf's shields, it will be expensive!

I'm also having a bash at a Pelte made of willow with a hide covering. I've got the frame quite nicely shaped, but it needs to be more closely-woven, yet.
Ok keep me posted on the MarkII.
If it goes to dead end I will order from Wulf.
All my attempts to have a shield made here were not successfull.
Kind regards
I should have said, I have no doubt my four shields will turn up fairly soon, I just can't say exactly when.