Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Dutch dam builders and a boomerang
Another New Scientist article, about finds in Vlaardingen:
Early Dutch dam builders were plagued by lice

Anyone know more about the boomerang they found? Confusedhock:
Quote:... His team uncovered other everyday artefacts, including a boomerang, some clothing, a herring and a hobnailed Roman army boot...
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
hmm, haven't read this in the local newspapers. That boomerang is surprising!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
The flat, curved or angled throwing-stick has been used by many cultures for killing small game and birds. Egyptian tomb-paintings show people hunting birds in the marshes with them. Hopi Indians used them to hunt rabbits. Only the Australian Aborigines developed the kind that returns to the thrower, but by preference they used the non-returning kind for hunting and even warfare.
Pecunia non olet
John, cool stuff Big Grin
Quote:... but by preference they used the non-returning kind for ... even warfare.
Which meant, in a completely ironic way, that if they missed the boomerang possibly did return to them in an unfortunate manner.
Quote:hmm, haven't read this in the local newspapers.
Jeroen, it's quite an old story from 1996.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I bet the Herring was just as big a suprise1Bet it smelled a wee bit! :lol: :lol:
Timeo Danaos et Dona ferentes

Andy.(Titus Scapula Clavicularis)
Quote:it's quite an old story from 1996

D'Oh!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Quote:Another New Scientist article, about finds in Vlaardingen:
Early Dutch dam builders were plagued by lice

Anyone know more about the boomerang they found? Confusedhock:
Quote:... His team uncovered other everyday artefacts, including a boomerang, some clothing, a herring and a hobnailed Roman army boot...
Here is a picture of the wobble board, er boomarang in question......[url:r29izk58]http://www.itc.nl/~bakker/earsel/200006gif/vlaardingen.jpg[/url]
and what about this one made from a Hippopotamus tooth... [url:r29izk58]http://www.flight-toys.com/boomerang/info/moyen.html[/url] is it me or , especially looking at the central etching.... Confusedhock: ?
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote: is it me or , especially looking at the central etching.... Confusedhock: ?regards Arthes

Er herm... I was interpreting that as a...... tail? :oops: :lol:

Btw, why are these items being identified as boomarangs? This one may
look like a boomerang, but it has etchings on both sides, and there are
paired notches symetrically placed on both ends, which suggests that it
was meant to be strapped to something; maybe as part of a head-dress?

Ambrosius
"Feel the fire in your bones."
Quote:and there are paired notches symetrically placed on both ends, which suggests that it was meant to be strapped to something; maybe as part of a head-dress?
I think the 'notches' are rests from the support to hold the boomerang on display.

Great pics Arthes, thanks Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Btw, why are these items being identified as boomarangs?

Presumably because the cross sections are opposing airfoils. No airfoil = no boomerang. Etchings are irrelevant to an airfoil apart from producing additional drag.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
"Boomerang" is of course an Australian Aboriginal word and I believe it is used for the non-returning as well as the returning type. In any case, it is commonly used to describe any such flat, curved or angled throwing stick because -well- it's convenient. When you say boomerang people automatically picture what you mean, even if it's in the hand of an Egyptian, Hopi or ancient Dutchman.
Pecunia non olet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legionaries as builders-question Arahne 2 1,340 06-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell