Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rom.-Germ. Zentralmuseum, Mainz
First, good morning and happy new year to you all.

Does anyone have a good contact at the above museum? I am after a couple of additional images of a greave found at Slavonski-Brod in Slavonia. The image I already have has a number T78/3178 on it.

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help out

Andrew
Andrew,

I worked there last year, and hence still know most of the staff. What exactly is it you are after? The problem is they can be a bit difficult in terms of sending out images etc. as they sometimes want shedloads of money for them, and then only give them out for "scholarly purposes" only - a definition they interpret depending on their mood of day...

The best thing to do - the official way - is to contact [email protected] (speaks English) regarding the query, give him the find number, tell him what you need it for and then see what he says. If that doesn't work out, shout, and I'll try and get someone there to see if there can be a way round it...

Happy New Year,
Christoph
Christoph Rummel
Thank you Christoph,

I will give it a go, and let you know how I get on. I am having a pair of greaves made, and a closer image of the embossed pattern, while not not being totally necessary would be nice.

Andrew
Christoph,

If you do know someone who could help, that would be good. The RGZM admit to having a number of good pictures, but not the artifact itself.

For copyright reasons they will neither give me or sell me copies of the pictures. They did tell me the images are in a periodical: Archaeologia Iugoslavica 16, 1975, 23-31, but I don't hold out much hope of getting hold of that though.

Andrew
Andrew,

I thought they might be difficult. Ah well. I've talked to my friends there and they'll see what they can do. In the meantime, check out the article. Newcastle Uni Library has it (which might be easiest for you. Their Classmark is T589 PER 913 ARC

Otherwise, close to you are Durham (Classmark 059.13497 v16 1975) and Edinburgh (Classmark Per. .913 Arc.)

If you can't access these libraries, I'll be going down to London or Oxford at some point in the next four weeks and could get you high res photographs. Would definitely be easier than the RGZM way!

Sorry if this is of no help,
Christoph
Christoph Rummel
Christoph,

Thank you, you have been very helpful. I know someone who works in Newcastle Uni (rather than a student), so that might get me in.

If not, I would definitely be interested in high resolution images. 4 weeks is no problem. I would gladly reimburse you any costs you may incur

My email is andrewlynneatblueyonder.co.uk

Many thanks again,

Andrew