Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Ghost Stories?
Greetings,
Quote:
andym:35kk32hc Wrote:Thats the one,the plumbers story.There is also a tale of Ghostly Legions walking across Wheeldale Moor in Yorkshire,the story goes that they were on their way south and entered Wheeldale Moor and were never seen again.They are supposed to have been swallowed up by the Bog.Its part of a walk across the North Yorkshire Moors called the Lyke Wake Walk.And have been heard and seen from time to time.
Hi thanks for the info. I wonder if they were soldiers of the 9th I believew that was the legion that disappeared? Flavia
Its been quite a few years since I was 'oop there' and its not that far away...but lack of transport.....grrrrrr :x On the steam train and walking boots come this summer....!
:lol:
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
[quote="flavia Hi thanks for the info. I wonder if they were soldiers of the 9th I believew that was the legion that disappeared? Flavia[/quote]

I do believe that it was the 9th that was lost.I did the Lyke wake walk when i was at school in the early mid 70's and Wheeldale bog was not a pleasant place at all.It really consitsts of a crust of peat over liquid,and several of us broke through the crust.You can feel it move under your feet as you walk!So a Legionaire with full marching gear would have no chance at all.Its also known for its very dense fogs that descend without warning.
Timeo Danaos et Dona ferentes

Andy.(Titus Scapula Clavicularis)
The IXth Legion Hispana wasn't lost in Britain. After York, there is evidence that it moved onto Nijmegen Holland (IXth legion tile stamps have been found there for example). It then moved onto the eastern empire and was destroyed out there. It's just that after Rosemary Sutcliff's book everyone seems to think it was lost in the mists; just shows how influential fiction is. For more details about the IXth Hispana, check out Jona's web pages at: http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/ix_hispana.html
Quote:The IXth Legion Hispana wasn't lost in Britain. After York, there is evidence that it moved onto Nijmegen Holland (IXth legion tile stamps have been found there for example). It then moved onto the eastern empire and was destroyed out there. It's just that after Rosemary Sutcliff's book everyone seems to think it was lost in the mists; just shows how influential fiction is. For more details about the IXth Hispana, check out Jona's web pages at: http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/ix_hispana.html
Hi Was there a legion that was lost at all?? Flavia??
Quote:Ghostly Romans thread

I still maintain the Roman ghosts were probably more shocked at the sight of the plumber who eventually turned up 2000 years on :wink:
That's a good one I wonder if ghosts see us??? Flavia
Quote:There are several cases of Roman Legionarries being seen in the City of York in a basement.They appear to walk along the original road way.If i can find any further on this i will post.
Iundersand that they could be auxilliaries from their dress?? Falvia
Quote:Flavia:
Good luck. I say this because the Romans had a very different view of the living and the dead than we do. It seems that to them the so called spirits of the dead were never that far away. They could help or hinder ones everyday life. They were often worshipped, or at least prayed to. Sorry for the sweeping generalizations. A "visit" from a dead ancestor was a not uncommon motif amongst the romans.

The atomists, such as Lucretius explained "ghosts" in terms of atoms (De rerum natura IV, 45f, 84f, 721f).

A specific "ghost story" in the modern sense can be found in one of the leters of Pliny, letter VII, 27. Pliny's may be the best known example. This is probably the closest to what you are looking for.

Someone else, can not remember who, may be the satirist Lucian, has a number of "ghost" stories.

Kevin
Atoms or not there seems to be something there even up to the present time there have been sightings and one of the most haunted palces is supposed to be the coliseums. Flavia
Quote:There are several cases of Roman Legionarries being seen in the City of York in a basement.They appear to walk along the original road way.If i can find any further on this i will post.
Thanks it will be interesting to hear when the last sighting was. Falvia
Greetings Flavia,
yes, the Romans in York are supposedly auxiliaries, as they carried round shields.
The last sighting was by a female, either a historian or archaeologist, I think it was. She described them as 'being in the wall' (which I presume was like watching a movie or hologram) at first and fainter than the last sighting. Her description also varied from Harry Martindale's...I found this -
Seven years later a pair of archaeologists working in the same cellar experienced an identical apparition. But this time there was an additional piece of historical information against which to measure the story, information that Harry could not have known, because nobody knew at the time. Between the two sightings, it had been established that when the 6th Roman Legion was moved out of York during the 4th Century, it had been supplemented by auxiliary troops who carried "ROUND SHIELDS". As for the reason why the auxiliaries were seen apparently thigh-deep in the floor, this was no doubt due to the fact that they were walking on the surface of the roman road that was buried two feet below the present ground level.
One sighting mentioned leather helmets, another shiny helmets. One sighting mentioned more horses being ridden and soldiers slumped over the necks. It sounded like a somewhat different viewing.
One of the sightings mentioned the Romans as wearing 'leather aprons' too.
There is also this....[url:3tkclh0f]http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t7217.html[/url]
(I mentioned the story of the Roman barring the way, on my trip to the cellar ...l ol)
The cellar floor has now been removed so the guide actually stands on the original Roman level, I believe. I think the idea is to see from head to toe next time......! All the time down there I was feeling strange, looking behind me and hoping to hear a 'trumpet' ....!
There still seems to be some confusion as to exactly when these guys originally lived or were based in York.
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Greetings Flavia,
yes, the Romans in York are supposedly auxiliaries, as they carried round shields.
The last sighting was by a female, either a historian or archaeologist, I think it was. She described them as 'being in the wall' (which I presume was like watching a movie or hologram) at first and fainter than the last sighting. Her description also varied from Harry Martindale's...I found this -
Seven years later a pair of archaeologists working in the same cellar experienced an identical apparition. But this time there was an additional piece of historical information against which to measure the story, information that Harry could not have known, because nobody knew at the time. Between the two sightings, it had been established that when the 6th Roman Legion was moved out of York during the 4th Century, it had been supplemented by auxiliary troops who carried "ROUND SHIELDS". As for the reason why the auxiliaries were seen apparently thigh-deep in the floor, this was no doubt due to the fact that they were walking on the surface of the roman road that was buried two feet below the present ground level.
One sighting mentioned leather helmets, another shiny helmets. One sighting mentioned more horses being ridden and soldiers slumped over the necks. It sounded like a somewhat different viewing.
There is also this....[url:fe7fjahl]http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t7217.html[/url]
(I mentioned the story of the Roman barring the way, on my trip to the cellar ...l ol)
The cellar floor has now been removed so the guide actually stands on the original Roman level, I believe. I think the idea is to see from head to toe next time......! All the time down there I was feeling strange, looking behind me and hoping to hear a 'trumpet' ....!
There still seems to be some confusion as to exactly when these guys originally lived or were based in York.
regards
Arthes
Totally amazing I hear that they were described as the material of their tunics was a form ofplaid??What did you do when the guy appeared barring your way?? Flavia
Quote: Totally amazing I hear that they were described as the material of their tunics was a form ofplaid??What did you do when the guy appeared barring your way?? Flavia
Patchy green - plaid shadow checks I would think...
Unfortunately it was not me who met the Roman, well not in the cellar anyway... :lol:
I mentioned the tale to the guide, and was questioned during the visit to the cellar...!. I have a first printing of a book called Ghosts of an Ancient City by John V. Mitchell, the story was in there..
If I met a Roman like that, I would probably assume he was a re- enactor....unless he faded away in front of my eyes.....thats the trouble :lol:
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
Quote:
flavia:gzr3brc6 Wrote:Totally amazing I hear that they were described as the material of their tunics was a form ofplaid??What did you do when the guy appeared barring your way?? Flavia
Patchy green - plaid shadow checks I would think...
Unfortunately it was not me who met the Roman, well not in the cellar anyway... :lol:
I mentioned the tale to the guide, and was questioned during the visit to the cellar...!. I have a first printing of a book called Ghosts of an Ancient City by John V. Mitchell, the story was in there..
If I met a Roman like that, I would probably assume he was a re- enactor....unless he faded away in front of my eyes.....thats the trouble :lol:
regards
Arthes
My goodness I don't know what I'd do id I came face to face once I came to my senses I would relish it I think. E-mail me @ [email protected] I finally found a book of ghost sightings and a lot are in England. Have you read anything about specific mushrooms being found aroung the site of a roman fort. They only grow in that place and are believed to have been brought by the romans and grown there.I would like to find other stories like this one. Like the game of "supernaculum" where even today it is played in barsin Italy. You have to drain your glass until only a drop remains that will fit on your thumbnail. Flavia
For a real Roman ghost story, see Pliny's Letter 7.27, about a haunted house no-one wanted to buy because of chain-rattling ghosts. Confusedhock:
Quote:For a real Roman ghost story, see Pliny's Letter 7.27, about a haunted house no-one wanted to buy because of chain-rattling ghosts. Confusedhock:
Hi I have read that one and it is a good one because he actually found the grave sight of the poor fellow. Wouldn't it be amazing to get to the bottom of these stories?? Flavia
Quote:Greetings Flavia,
There is also this....[url:3ls1aqye]http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t7217.html[/url]
regards
Arthes
Sorry it took so long to get back to you but what did you sense there when you said "Iwas feeling strange" I'm still not sure how to navigate this site and somehow only got part of your reply but I find this sighting fascinating. They say that lightning will sometimes be so bright it can almost take a"photo" on the atmospehere. I wonder if these soldiers were marching during a storm as they have been described as almost like walking bent forward.Flavia

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Judeo stories kevin 1 790 11-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs