Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rubber - did the Romans have/use it ?
I read that Columbus was the first to introduce rubber to Europe, bringing it back from the New World.

Is this accurate or did the Romans use rubber but the technology to make it was subsequently lost during the Middle Ages ?
Jaime
Rubber in the strict sense - latex - is a New World crop, though it has old world analogues. We have no evidence whatsoever that the Romans used them (all Old World variants are very inferior and commercial rubber plantation in Africa and Asia all use American latex).
What we think of as 'rubber' is vulcanised latex, a technology that wasn't available until the late 19th century.

What the Romans undoubtedly knew were gum resins, which can serve similar purposes (waterproofing, frex), but these are not rubber, although the words are similar in some languages.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Thanks for clearing that up, Carlton.

I wanted to make sure before risking making something that has no historical basis.

Happy New Year Smile
Jaime
Quote:What the Romans undoubtedly knew were gum resins, which can serve similar purposes (waterproofing, frex),
A tad OT; Mastic, extruded from the bark of Pistacia Lentiscus (Schinos tree to some), was used for ulcers of the mouth and also as a chewing gum to sweeten the breath. 'Doctors and Diseases in the Roman Empire', Ralph Jackson.
The Wounded Tree
Mastic Is More Than An Antibacterial
King's American Dispensatory
And if you fancy chewing gum during a reenactment event here's a supplier in the UK: Skin Shop (mastic gum). They have other mastic products, too.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:What the Romans undoubtedly knew were gum resins, which can serve similar purposes (waterproofing, frex), but these are not rubber, although the words are similar in some languages.

The stuff seems pretty hard to find, Carlton. Can you tell me anything more, like where I can buy it and how to create objects from it ?

I already have a mold I can use.
Jaime
Quote:
Carlton Bach:2njhc2o1 Wrote:What the Romans undoubtedly knew were gum resins, which can serve similar purposes (waterproofing, frex), but these are not rubber, although the words are similar in some languages.

The stuff seems pretty hard to find, Carlton. Can you tell me anything more, like where I can buy it and how to create objects from it ?

I already have a mold I can use.

It's not that easy, unfortunately. gum resins are a group of resins, including (the most common one) gum arabic, gum tragacanth and gum mastic. The best place to get them is normally a well stocked art supply store (they are used in making inks and varnishes) or a very welol stocked gourmet food temple (tragacanth is used in sugar paste, arabic in sugar colours and confections, and mastic in some Greek and Turkish food). None of them, by themselves, are castable or flexible. Now, I don't know the details, buit if you mix gum resins with other resins (colophony - "rosin" - is supposed to be part of the mix) and glutin glue, you are supposed to get a water-resistant goo. Gum resins themselves are water soluble. At least, that is the explanation the archeologists gave for the remants of gum arabic they identified on a multilayer shoew sole from Mainz, and also what is assumed to have been used to waterproof pressure pipe joints. Personally, I've always used glutin glue and 10% dry weight alum - broadly the same effect. Sorry I can't help you more there.

Volker Bach
Quote:Personally, I've always used glutin glue and 10% dry weight alum - broadly the same effect.

That's your personal recipe ? That is very helpful. I'll experiment with it.

Thank you, Carlton. Big Grin
Jaime
Quote:
Carlton Bach:1vxyhonn Wrote:Personally, I've always used glutin glue and 10% dry weight alum - broadly the same effect.

That's your personal recipe ? That is very helpful. I'll experiment with it.

Thank you, Carlton. Big Grin

Not personal. It's been used by cabinetmakers and joiners for centuries (don't know how far back), and it's reasonably water-resistant (not water*proof* - it soaks and eventually gets squishy) and retains some flexibility, unlike casein glue.

Volker Bach