Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman cosmetics and perfume
Salvete,

Can someone recommend me some good books and/or articles on Roman cosmetics and perfume? I'm also looking for books or articles about body care.

Thanks very much in advance,

Valete,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Sally Pointer: The Artifice of Beauty as a starting point. The book covers everything from Egfypt to modern day, but it is well bibliographed and she is a Romano-British reenactor and has done the 'Roman Makeover'.

You will also want to look at Theophrastus' "Treatise on Odours" (available in Loeb tagged on to the second poart of his 'On Plants'), Athenaios' "Deipnosophists" (mostly about foodm but also concerned with body care and scents) and, if you can get a good translation, Dioscurides' "Materia Medica", which contains actual recipes.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Try google "Crocodelatta". Try not be disdusted from what some roman ladies used as cosmetics!!
Kind regards
Stefanos
Quote:Try google "Crocodelatta". Try not be disdusted from what some roman ladies used as cosmetics!!
Kind regards
Stefanos

I don't get a result if I google 'Crocodelatta' Tongue
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
De Medicamina Faciei Femineae, Ovidius

http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/ovid/lboo/lboo62.htm
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Recently a programme was shown on The History Channel from the "Meet the Ancestors"series.It was about a Roman burial in London where several cosmetic appliances were found.They also made a replica of the Vial using old Roman Glass.I will post info when i can find it.The dig was under the supervision of the Museum of London.
Timeo Danaos et Dona ferentes

Andy.(Titus Scapula Clavicularis)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cosmetics; Sally Pointer on the London tin richsc 5 1,871 03-19-2005, 02:58 PM
Last Post: richsc
  Small Roman Unguent/Perfume Glass Bottles Arturius Britannicus 8 2,809 07-31-2003, 01:25 AM
Last Post: venicone