Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The commands in Greek
Dear Stefane, you would VERY USEFULL in my ex-team's mod (I was a team-developing member of "Hegemonia: City-States", a Hellenic mod for "Rome: Total War" PC game)!

VERY-VERY nice research! I knew only the 50% of them!

(It would be nice to play a PC game - strategy, based on Classic Age - and listening the "troops" crying... "ΣYΝΑΣΠΙΣΑΤΕ!")

My respect for you, keeps rising...
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -
Quote:Dear Stefane, you would VERY USEFULL in my ex-team's mod (I was a team-developing member of "Hegemonia: City-States", a Hellenic mod for "Rome: Total War" PC game)!
For those interested...the Hegemonia Forum can be found here
(I'm a lurking member....) Good previews, screenshots, brilliant Spartiate...etc
Quote:(It would be nice to play a PC game - strategy, based on Classic Age - and listening the "troops" crying... "ΣYΝΑΣΠΙΣΑΤΕ!")
Yes.....I agree :wink:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Yea... that mod ("Hegemonia") COULD be an OUTSTANDING Hestoric-strategy game!

Unfortunatelly, they took "command" people SO "SMALL" & ignorant about the Classic Times (and about GRAPHIC DESIGNS!), so that's why me and few SUPERB artists left the team...
So pitty...

Anyway... I LOVE to see Stefanos writting MORE military commands in Ancient Hellenics - and in DIFFERENT dialect, like he did in the first posts in this threat...
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -
Would any of you be able to provide us with the Pean, in ancient greek (preferably written in ancient greek) and also translated into modern language (english...) ?
Thank you in advance.

Dem
FROESSEL
Dem--go to [url:ej216l8o]http://www.homoecumenicus.com/ioannidis_mp3.htm[/url] and pay the $1.00 to download the 128 BC Delphic Hymn to Apollo. It'll come with a translation. It makes an excellent start on the Paean.

Mind you, Stephanos or Giannis may disagree. I'm not a music expert and there's way too much to know out there. But according to the various ancient music websites, that particular recording seems the simplest, most accurate, and is a good reconstruction of the Paean as it existed in the 2nd C BC.
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Sorry to double post. I'm hoping that other folks approve of this Paean, or have another to recommend, as I believe that using MP3's we can get a great head start on uniform drill if we can all sing the same Paean!
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Thank you very much.
I ll have a look at that.
As you know we are now really starting our group after gathering material, weapons etc and we - at least I, even alone - aim to go to Marathon.
But I think that we should start to put on paper some minimum "rules" or common standarts before we all go into different directions.
Without becoming the Red Army Choir we could manage to chant or sing something that will not appear as kakophonia...
FROESSEL
Execution of Commands in Greek.

Hope you find this video useful: (you need to be patient and watch it through the end)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2XLKmWAXyk

Also the melos (hymn toi daiety) is musical.
The Paean is a menacing battle cry chanted rythmicaly

Cristian, Plateans being Beotians would invoke "Athena Itonia" if we trust Pausanias

Kind regards
Thank you all for you help.

I wanted also that we all agreed that these are the commands commonly shared so that when we all meet there is no confusion in our ranks.

Particular question for the greek speaking people : I noticed you pronounce the "modern" contemporaneous way (oi, ei, H, u, y = i, etc)
Why dont you try to pronounce it the ancient way (more or less restored, not especially the Erasmus way) ?
Wouldn't that be more realistic and in the same time more "exotic" for today's Greeks attending our performances ?
Did you discuss this point between you already and did you come to a conclusion in favour of modern pronounciation or was that question ignored ?

Any comments welcome.
FROESSEL
Stephanos, that video is great. I especially like the manner in which you raise and lower the dory. Note how the front rank naturally faces more frontally as the second rank closes up- with more ranks and real pressure this is inevitable. If you overlapped your shields the other way, it'd be perfect to my mind.

I'll add two points of cultural comedy. "Spartiatikes Mores" is great, but when you write it "Spartas Mores" it brings to mind a dessert, the S'More-made by melting a marshmallow on graham crackers with chocolate. So it initially hits, at leat me, as comical- a spartan campfire treat.

Also, in the video of you guys marching to drum and flute, where did the song come from? I ask because it sounds remarkably like the child's song "The itsy bitsy spider", which is an unfortunate coincidence.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Any war cries referencing Apollo? Asking since it seems Apollo was important to both Spartans and Macedonians.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
For Spartan battle cries please my post on page 2 of this thread.
It is a debatable thing if the Macedonian "Ali lai lai lai" was a chant inspired from Apollo.
The "L" phonetic root has to do with description of light in almost all Europena languages.

The Commands written here:
http://spartasmores.gr/index.files/Page1176.htm The TH has the same phonetic value as in the article "THE" or the word "THERE" .

Demetrios we decide to use modern pronunciation to ease our new members.
Even Spartans were not 100% "doric".
The clear cut Doric accent of the King or thr Polemarch from Geronthrae would be different from the officer coming from Skiritis or Pylos with the strong Achean tradition
If you re-enact Athenians you need Ionic pronunciation

I would like to think though what re-enactors think on the dialects issue and pronunciation

Kind regards
Stephanos,

Do you know of ancient references to dialect differences between Spartiates and Perioic towns? Does anything like a map of ancient dialects exist- beyond the major linguistic divisions ionic, doric, aeolic etc.?
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Paul,

Most differences come from inscriptions on stone and pottery.
I know of examples but you are the first person to suggest the very interesting idea of linguistic maps for ancient Greek dialects

Interesting also is that Archaic inscriptions in Sparta are in "Chalkidic" alphabet but later on the "Attik" seem to appear -especially after Persian wars.

Another example is Homer who mixes Doric, Ionic, even Achean words in Iliad.
i.e. Spear DOYRI-Doric (in Ionic Dori), Athena Athini-Ionic (Athana in Doric)

Kind regards
This is an ancient topic.
I resurrect it only to present the latest work of our Association on the subject.

Living History Association "Koryvantes" study on ancient military drill.

http://koryvantes.blogspot.gr/2013/07/ho...ining.html

Kind regards