Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed; English translation
Here is a brief article that I have to translate into English. Is there a native speaker who can correct any mistakes? Thanks!!

====

Dutch archaeologists are disreputable characters, according to a spokesperson of the Dutch Ministry of Finance, on 12 December 2005.

After the wreck of an eighteenth-century Dutch trading vessel, carrying a load of silver, had been identified off the British shore, the discoverers got in touch with the Ministry and the Dutch National Service for Archaeological Heritage. At this level, it was decided that Dutch archaeologists were not to be invited to investigate the derelict, because, according to the spokesperson, “we were afraid that disreputable characters would dive for treasureâ€ÂÂ
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Jona - your translation's very good. There are just a few tricky bits in there which could possibly do with sorting out. Here's my suggestion:

[quote]Dutch archaeologists are disreputable characters, according to a spokesperson of the Dutch Ministry of Finance, on 12 December 2005.

When the wreck of an eighteenth-century Dutch trading vessel, carrying a cargo of silver, was identified off the British coast, the discoverers soon got in touch with the Finance Ministry and the Dutch National Service for Archaeological Heritage. It was decided by these organisations, however, that Dutch archaeologists would not be invited to investigate the find ('derelict' doesn't quite work in this context!), because, according to their spokesperson, “we were afraid that disreputable characters would dive for treasureâ€ÂÂ
Nathan Ross
THANKS!!!!

I skipped the remark about the mayoress; the original author, a Dutch journalist named Marcel Hulspas, will appreciate the improvement.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spanish to English translation philsidnell 0 659 09-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Last Post: philsidnell
  English-German translation request Eleatic Guest 13 3,556 05-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  English translation of "an sich" and "für si Jona Lendering 9 2,020 12-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Last Post: L C Cinna