Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange Flashback
Salve,
I just got back from a trip to England, but thats not important. In my free time I visited some ancient roman sites and a very wierd thing happened to me. I experienced a massive wave of emotions and had a flashback like thing when I visited Hadrians wall. It was as if I had been there already but I have never been to England, I ended up sitting on the ruins of the wall for about two hours in complete isolation. It was very strange, anything remotely like this happen to anyone else? And no I have not been drinking... Wink
Gavin Creegan
Yes, that's happened to me. Recently when I was driving through Selkirk, NY, I felt tears welling up in my eyes and felt a pain in my chest. I turned to my wife and said, "This is where I died."

Long, past-life memory story involved here. Suffice to say I was an officer in the British army during the American Revolution.

The part that really baked my noodle was when she said, "That bridge we just crossed was where I almost died in that car accident when Bubb (our son) was a baby."

[Edited to add: I've had a couple more experiences like that, and maybe if I ever make it over to Europe again (haven't been there since I was eight years old), maybe I'll get one of those feelings at a Roman site, too. Smile )]
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
PATER FAMILIAS DOMVS VRSVM
-Tom
I once spend an evening at Old Sarum, the Iron Age hillfort north of Salibury. I have visited the UK on a number of occasions, and must have visited droves of hillforts, Roman and other ancient site. But at that time, I had a very nast impression of not being welcome. I can't still feel that emotion, even though it happened back in 1989.

Since that time, I only once had a similar feeling a few years ago on a prehistoric site here in The Netherlands.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Saw an early reconstructed lorica segmentata and imperial gallic helmet in a glass case in Colchester museum as a kid aged about 7 (early 1970's).

Stared at it for ages, overwhelming feeling of familiarity and that I wanted it back.

But that could be explained as childhood greed for something that I couldn't have (like seeing an enormous pile of sweets).

Or race memory... greatest illustration of that is a fear that many have of spiders, as most in NW Europe are harmless - there's no need to fear them. A theory is that it's probably just just been ingrained in our subconciousness from many thousands of years in hotter climates (where venemous spiders live) and many of us inherit a fear of the very shape/appearance of spiders.
What if we can inherit traces of images/experiences in our cerebral cortexes?
The books of Rupert Sheldrake (no relation) discuss this in depth.
Interesting point Dan. I forgot to add the depth of the flashback was scary. You know that sort of matallic taste you get in your mouth when you get a cut and you suck away the blood? Well I got that taste in my mouth there and it was really scary with that and a few other things...very starnge.
Gavin Creegan
When i worked in HMS Mercury in Hampshire i used to ride to work on my Triumph 750.One day i got lost in a real thick fog and got lost.Eventually the road ended.I got off the bike and started walking.I had no idea where i was and where i was going,but knew instincively i was on familiar ground.The fog thinned to find myself in the middle of a Stone age hill fort.Later i looked at a local map and the Fort was called Winchester Hill.While i was there time just stopped and i had a feeling of complete peace.Odd!
I also have a reoccuring dream that ends in me lying in a foxhole and seeing a pair of German army Jackboots from WW1 step over me just before it all goes black.Was i a German in WW1 in a previous life?Who Knows!
Timeo Danaos et Dona ferentes

Andy.(Titus Scapula Clavicularis)
Quote:When i worked in HMS Mercury in Hampshire i used to ride to work on my Triumph 750.One day i got lost in a real thick fog and got lost.Eventually the road ended.I got off the bike and started walking.I had no idea where i was and where i was going,but knew instincively i was on familiar ground.The fog thinned to find myself in the middle of a Stone age hill fort.Later i looked at a local map and the Fort was called Winchester Hill.While i was there time just stopped and i had a feeling of complete peace.Odd!
I also have a reoccuring dream that ends in me lying in a foxhole and seeing a pair of German army Jackboots from WW1 step over me just before it all goes black.Was i a German in WW1 in a previous life?Who Knows!

OK, freaky. I have a "memory" of being a German machine gunner in WWI that came about watching a movie that had nothing to do with WWI. One of the characters got shot in the forehead, and my ex-wife said, "That's gotta hurt."

Then I said, "No, it doesn't. It's just like a light being switched off."

Her face blanked and she asked, "How do you know that?"

"I don't know," I answered, but I could smell mud and I did remember being a German soldier in a trench and getting shot in the head.
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
PATER FAMILIAS DOMVS VRSVM
-Tom
wow...pretty interesting.

My girlfriend has told me a few incredible stories like that with recurring dreams or having "flashbacks" in certain locations/places.

I think I've had some of those too, but I either repressed/forgotten them, or just didn't have the capacity to notice what it was or it's significance.

I'll occasionally get a sense of De-Ja-Vu, not as "often" as I think of having when i was a teenager/college, which makes me wonder if that sense has something to do with location as well as circumstance.

Trying to be more aware of such an instance if/when it does happen.

That adage of "everything happens for a reason" could have implications with this sort of thing Tongue
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
What type of implications? In that particular one what type of implications could dying have? I also had a few others at different places (yea, I know i do travel alot). I had a WWII flashback, gut unlike you I was not allowed a quick death, I think I laid dying in agony for a long time. At least I'm not alone with this type of thing.
Gavin Creegan
Greetings,
yes, I know exactly what you mean and have had similar experiences.
A Hillfort where I found myself 'avoiding' the now non existant dwellings for one...!
Cadbury Hillfort made me sad and depressed the one time I visited... I
kept looking into the trees for some reason and thinking of bodies.
Now my beloved city of York has a bearing on at least one past life and it's Roman remains can physically affect me...I was told later, I had a not very pleasant experience with them supposedly - the Romans that is - knowing my luck it was Lucius Artorius Castus..... Sad
I had a rather frightening 'dream' and remember seeing people in Roman or Greek outfits - which I think was a past life experience, but don't know if that was York.
I also had a 'dream' that I was in a battle, was shot, everything went red then faded into black...and I woke up.
Sometimes I pick up on things that have happened in the past, for instance I worked somewhere a few years back and kept 'smelling' burning and getting impressions of a fire and bombs, it was not very pleasant...
I believe in reincarnation, and that periods of history and/or places
you are drawn to are possibly when/where you lived some of those lives,
although ancestry can also play a part, you have to try and seperate which is which.
Of course, you can also meet others you have maybe known in previous lives.....and don't know why they look so familiar....someone I met for the first time at Kelmarsh will remember me saying that.....lol
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
I once had a dream I was pregnant in a maternity ward, gave birth, and woke up with a smile on my face Confusedhock:

Don't tell anyone though. :oops:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I once had a dream I was pregnant in a maternity ward, gave birth, and woke up with a smile on my face Confusedhock:

Don't tell anyone though. :oops:
Did it hurt......... :?: or was the smile on your face relief that it didn't.... :lol:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
The first time I was breaking down my Mosin Nagant 91/30 (Soviet standard arm for WWII) I felt like I'd done it before and all the parts seemed familiar to me.

The funny thing is a friend of mine who portrays German said he had the same experiance with his Mauser.

And just a couple of nights ago I had this dream of marching down a dusty road in Spain in Republican Roman gear.
Tiberius Claudius Vindex
Coh I Nerv
aka Chris Goshey

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.geocities.com/naginata12084/hpage.html">http://www.geocities.com/naginata12084/hpage.html
Wow, I know what you guys mean by some of this stuff, dont you agree it can be sorta scay though? And Tarbicus, thats a different one Wink . For some reason mine have a tendency to have me dying violently.....
Gavin Creegan
Quote:Cadbury Hillfort made me sad and depressed the one time I visited... I kept looking into the trees for some reason and thinking of bodies.
Cadbury (I think you're rferring to South Cadbury, there are many cadbury hillforts after all) always made me feel great. For some odd reason, I always had good weather during my visits...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)