Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vambraces
Ok Paul I hear what you are saying, but I have spent a good deal of my own time, unpaid teaching 7-11 year olds (and some grown ups - mind you they behave like 7-11 year olds when they see pointy things!!!) and have strived to get my kit as accurate as I can with limited funds. These guys have huge budgets and period experts to consult. If we can do it then surely these guys can!!

It makes for a better film, series, whatever and gives those not so anally retentive as us re enactors, a real idea of what things were like - you use excalibur - great yarn but about 600 years too late.

Not doing Archaic so NO VAMBRACES!!! see you in June??
Noli Nothis permittere te terere!!

Mark.
Quote:Ok Paul I hear what you are saying, but I have spent a good deal of my own time, unpaid teaching 7-11 year olds (and some grown ups - mind you they behave like 7-11 year olds when they see pointy things!!!) and have strived to get my kit as accurate as I can with limited funds. These guys have huge budgets and period experts to consult. If we can do it then surely these guys can!!

It makes for a better film, series, whatever and gives those not so anally retentive as us re enactors, a real idea of what things were like - you use excalibur - great yarn but about 600 years too late.

Not doing Archaic so NO VAMBRACES!!! see you in June??

Okay, okay! We heard you the first time! :lol: I look forward to seeing you in June. It's a shame you're not doing archaic, though...We have people wanting to do Classical and a few on Hellenistic, but no-one on the early turn. Pity Dan can't come over in his Mycenaean kit - that would get him a place in the chariot!

Please don't teach unpaid, you deserve a proper reward and the schools (all their protestations to the contrary) can afford to pay you.
Archaic armor...hmmm...
Good incentive for asking a payrise from my boss.
The "Koryne" would be enough or I need a xifos to strengthen the argument? :lol:
Kind regards
"Koryne" is a new one on me; is it a synonym for "Dory" or "Kamax"?
The club of Hercules - emblem of the theban shields
Kind regards
Ah. Yes, that should add weight to your argument!
Khairete,

Archaic,eh?
What kinds of equipment are we
talking exactly?
Lamellar armor? Boetian apsis?
Anyplace to see what we're talking about?
Calcidian Helm with the J-hook crest?
Something like (gasp) Troy?

I don't think I could get into the wicker
garbage can look,though.
That one picture is all I've been able to
find for really early kit.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Quote:Khairete,

Archaic,eh?
What kinds of equipment are we
talking exactly?
Lamellar armor? Boetian apsis?
Anyplace to see what we're talking about?
Calcidian Helm with the J-hook crest?
Something like (gasp) Troy?

I don't think I could get into the wicker
garbage can look,though.
That one picture is all I've been able to
find for really early kit.
Andy Archaic Period is acording to most historians 750 to 600 B.C.
Potery has still "geometric" designs but lifeforms are nore natural
Sculptures are more rigit and "egyptian-like" in their "immobile rigidity"
A russian miniture company reconstructed one such warrior in the following link. Of course he is a king or high noble.
http://www.soldiers-russia.com/new_sold ... _pb223.htm
The horned helmet actually exists in Geneva Museum and was found in Taranto! Other sources are the Dodona warrior statuets. Photes in the Osprey series. Conolly also has the original arm guards in his books
Basic shield seems tobe the Beotian shield but Hoplon made its apearence arround 690 B.C (King Pheidon´s reforms in Argos)
Bell cuirass thigh and upper arm protection exist at least for the high nobles. Proto Corinthian and "illyric" helemts are the main stay if we belive the archailogists. Linen armor is mentioned by Homer so it is valid too. Wicker shields for peltast well possibly.
Please forget TROYfilm . Its just Holywood fairy tale.
Hope I helped.
Kind regards
You could certainly purchase something like that. It looks like a re-construction of an early Italian type. Nearly all the bits appear in Connolly's "Greece and Rome at War", although none of his illustrations combines them in this particular way. How close the different finds, on which the equipment is based, were to each other chronologically doesn't seem clear to me. I prefer his impression of a fourth-century Samnite warrior, on P. 107. Where was the picture taken, do you know?

Whether we get a chariot and/or horses is currently still up for negotiation, but I am still working on it.

I think you meant "ride a straight line". :oops: I'm all in favour of sticking to the straight, and avoiding the rectal...A rectal thermometer, for example, goes between the buttocks. Confusedhock:
The Illyrian in the foto wear an good example of arhaic armor but this is not the "illuric" helmet. The proto-corinthian helmet is thew "Kegel" type.
I think some Australians though they coul make archaoc vambraces buyt I do not know what happened to the project.
As for the chariot I want to prove that Homer's description of Patroclos chariot charge is a real thing in battle.
Kind regards
I think it was Manning but not sure.
The illustration shows the first phalnx attempt perhaps arround 700 B.C.
Iliad the rapsody called "Patroklea" describes the charge. I think it is the 16th rapsody, towards the end. Kind regards
Quote:But from Samnites of 4th c. I got this, dont know if your description is there?:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/C ... img156.jpg

& this is a nice one!, a combination of Samnites & etruscans, Connolly's did't picture greeks in bell type & groin plate but it does with etruskoi!... Here:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/C ... img158.jpg

Yes, those pictures are from the book I mentioned but different pages.

Dont worry, if we dont get horses & charriot, Paul should have something like this around! :roll: ....we can make it on this! :twisted: :lol:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/C ... img157.jpg

Don't be daft, Gioi - where do you think I can get a bloomin' goat from? :lol:
A bloke down the road has some Llamas, though... :roll:
Quote:As for the chariot I want to prove that Homer's description of Patroclos chariot charge is a real thing in battle.

Homer reckons that Patroklos jumped his chariot over a ditch that was specifically dug to prevent chariots from crossing. To prove Homer correct you'll have to do the same thing. Tongue
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
No body ever accused me of sanity so far Big Grin
Kind regards
Thats where Conolly got his reconstructions.
Which museum is the photo from Gioi?
Kind regards
Stefanos