Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National Delicacies
With Easter round the corner I thought I must resurect this!
So in my country we have:
Lamp or goat roasted on the spit!! :wink:
Not forget kokoretsi!!!:wink: :wink:
Hard boiled eggs painted red with natural paint. Used for wishing happy Easter while crushing yours against the one held by another as a wish for good luck! Smile
Well naturaly tzatziki-yogurt with cucamber garlic and oregano protects you from cholesterol 8) 8)
Anything from other countries??
Kind regards
hot cross buns, dripping with butter....(not helping cholesterol... Big Grin )
chocolate made into eggs or bunny rabbits
hard boiled eggs painted and rolled - down hills in some places.
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:America doesn't really have its own delicacies...
:lol:

Apparently you have a lack of faith in your American selection.

BBQ?
Grilled Steaks?
Buffalo T-Bone Steaks?
Venison (in its 1 million variations) ?
Hamburgers?
Crawdads in hotsauce?
Chili?
Gumbo?
Deep fried Alligator?

You Yankees dont know how to eat :wink:

As for using Canola oil, you should read some of the ill side effects of ingesting this abomination. I use olive oil for everything I cook that requires oil.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Something not many people know ... frites are originally Belgian Smile Here we can serve frites with almost everything. A traditional Belgian plate is what we call 'biefstuk friet' steak with frites. Brussels sprouts, chicory, ... all served with either frites or potatoes. Belgian waffles, a traditional Belgian thing (not a dish but something to eat).

Apparently we're one of the few countries that have potatoes or salads as a main dish (don't know exactly how that is).
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme
Great beers in Belgium too!
Hair or rabbit alla Bier with potatos and mushrooms in the oven-saw it on TV last month!! Cool staff!
Kind regards
Quote:Something not many people know ... frites are originally Belgian Smile Here we can serve frites with almost everything. .
Eating them in Belgium started me eating chips with mayonnaise instead of tomato ketchup...and I love the coffee you get over there, with nutmilk in!
Quote:Apparently we're one of the few countries that have potatoes or salads as a main dish
I consider a jacket potato with filling to comprise a main meal.... :?
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Great beers in Belgium too!
Hair or rabbit alla Bier with potatos and mushrooms in the oven-saw it on TV last month!! Cool staff!
Kind regards

Got to try chicory rolled in hock and a cheese sauce, put in the oven. Or minced meat (hope this is spelled correctly) rolled in bacon. *drooling :lol: *
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme
OK. If ever get to "monies" I will do the Belgian restaurant/beer toor. :!: :!:
Cristina I think you will like Russian cooking although sometimes thet overdo it in mayonesse.
Kind regards
Quote:OK. If ever get to "monies" I will do the Belgian restaurant/beer toor. :!: :!:

Good choise. A different Belgian beer every day ... you'll be busy for a year :lol:
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme
The only good excuse for eating mayonnnaise with potato is in the Spanish snack, "Patatas Bravas" with a piquant sauce. Anything else is mere barbarism.

I'm sure the Belgians invented frites; just as we Brits invented chips.
Mince and chips with HP sauce on top.
Lancashire hotpot with pickled red cabbage.
A pan of scouse with pickled beetroot on the side.

Yum yum.

But I disagree about the chips and mayo - snack attack! See you lot later...
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I was born and raised 3km from this place:
[Image: neuschwanstein-480_small.jpg]
The Area is known as the Ostallgäu, and is the eastern part of Bavarian-Swabia. People tend to be local patriots - in a way to make it clear to everybody, that they are NOT Bavarians, and NOT Swabians, but Allgäuer.(Not to mention the differences between Ost- and Ober-Allgäu Big Grin P //www.stadt-fuessen.de/:2pf8bggs]Füssen[/url], my hometown, people spoke latin until the 10th century... Which can be still seen in our dialect today. (Girls are called "Fehla", which derives from latin "filia", e.g., the German term would be "Mädchen")
Füssen:
[Image: fuessen.jpg]

These are some of our traditional recipes, the more famous ones, actually:

Kässpatzen:
[quote]Where does the Allgäu begin exactly? If you believe the old saying, it’s where the cows start getting prettier than the girls. Whoever spends some time in Kemptem will be right in the middle of the Allgäu, known as the Cheese Kitchen of Germany. Still, you’ve got to look closely for the cows here. If you want to find a few, take a stroll early in the morning from Kempten East Station to the Lenzfried district and you’ll be met with loud mooing, since 80 healthy specimens of Allgäu Brown Cattle will be lounging around in their stalls at the Spitalhof, enjoying their luxuriant lifestyle. Luxuriant because only the best is on their menu. The Teaching and Experimental Facility for Animal Keeping is only one of several national facilities concerned with milk, butter and cheese that are at home in Kempten.

Top Secret

It has a conspiratorial feel to it. Every Wednesday men in dark suits gather in Kempten and hold secret meetings behind closed doors. Sounds cheesy, but it’s deadly serious. Cheese manufacturers and vendors from all over Germany come to the “House of Milkâ€
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Looks like a nice place - great city walls. When was the castle built?

"Where the cows start getting prettier than the girls" ??!! - That doesn't sound like my kind of town! - try the guys from Montana! :lol:
Quote:I was born and raised 3km from this place:
Honest! I went on holiday to Pfronten when I was akid.. Lovely area, I still remember it very vividly.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:The only good excuse for eating mayonnnaise with potato is in the Spanish snack, "Patatas Bravas" with a piquant sauce. Anything else is mere barbarism.

I'm sure the Belgians invented frites; just as we Brits invented chips.

Cook your potatoes, let them become cold again, cut them in small peaces and mix it with mayonnaise ... *drooling* Wink

I didn't know about the chips Smile

Quote:I was born and raised 3km from this place:

[Image: fuessen.jpg]

Seems to be a very beautiful area Smile
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme