Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National Delicacies
In an answer to Andy Booker,Pie and mash is basically a meat pie(usually Beef) and Mashed Potato,served with either gravy or "liqour" a kind of thin sauce made with the stock from cooking "Jellied Eels" and Parsley,topped with a dollop of "Mushy" peas!The afrorementioned has varaiations across the whole of UK.
As to Bacon Butties,they are a basic bacon sandwich,just swap the Jam for bacon Andy! :o o But it MUST be served along with HP or Daddies Brown Sauce!

So what NAtional delicacies do other members have?Pizza,Pasta and Burgers dont count,as you can get these on Mars! :o o o
Timeo Danaos et Dona ferentes

Andy.(Titus Scapula Clavicularis)
Thanks Andy for oppening this thread.
Being a country sourrounded be sea our National Delicasies are small "sea stuff" squids,fries,oktapus fried in olive oil and served with OUZO!
But the mainland doesn´t go back with the famous feta cheese, splendit "peasant" sausages, peppers and cozetes frien in olive oil.
If I tries to list the whole variety the list would be endless.
Our national dish is FASOLADA -bean soup with oninons an carrots.
And pork is prefered over turckey for Christmass.
This is a thread that I would enjoy to see contributions from all the members.
National pride about each country´s dishes should be encouraged in my opinion!
Kind regards
Quote:In an answer to Andy Booker,Pie and mash is basically a meat pie(usually Beef) and Mashed Potato,served with either gravy or "liqour" a kind of thin sauce made with the stock from cooking "Jellied Eels" and Parsley,topped with a dollop of "Mushy" peas!The afrorementioned has varaiations across the whole of UK.
Confusedhock: :?
That's not a national dish, it's a southern cullinary abomination!!!

Chicken Madras curry - now that's a proper British national dish :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
In the Nordic and similar countries, many national delicacies stem from failed attempts at conserving food. Instead of doing the right thing and burying the tragic remains in silence before starting over, we northerners would get stubborn and insist that they weren't so bad in fact!

This gave us various horrors of the table, such as the milk-soured sheep testicles and graven shark (preferably urinated upon by the elderly) of Iceland (both of which constitute the worst food I've ever tasted), the Surströmming (tinned rotten fish - beware of the pressure and fumes when opening!) and other delicacies of Sweden, and the lyed fish (or "lutefisk", a see-through gelatinous affair with the attitude of an AD&D monster and probably about the same taste too!), sheepshead, codhead, rotten cheese, graven fish (botulism, anyone?) and stick meat (essentially, oversalted sheep's fat) of Norway.

All of these culinary assassination attempts are only ameliorated slightly by the fact that our brandywine is so damn good! :twisted:
PRIMVS CALPVRNIVS LIVIANVS aka SANGVE aka Øystein Bech Gadmar
LEG XV AP of Norway (Romans? In Norway?!)

Somniatorem me dixeris, sed unicus non sum
-- Johannes Lennonius, MXMLXXI
Roast beef, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and two veg and jam roly poly with custard....
Very traditional English dinner.....leave the beef out for me though.....(I have a veggie version... :lol: )
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Our Viking friend has just solved the mystery why service in the Varangian Guard was so popular and why Northmen are such brave people :lol:
Kind regards
Quote:Our Viking friend has just solved the mystery why service in the Varangian Guard was so popular and why Northmen are such brave people :lol:
Kind regards
Pmsl!i was going to comment aong the lines of "No wonder the Vikings left Scandinavia for other countries!"I cant really get the horrible picture of my Granny widdling over off cuts of fish! :o o
Oh yeah i also forgot we have Chicken Tikka Massala! :o o
My favourite though is Black Pudding and Faggots! :o o
Timeo Danaos et Dona ferentes

Andy.(Titus Scapula Clavicularis)
"milk-soured sheep testicles and graven shark (preferably urinated upon by the elderly)"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Confusedhock:

Sangue - Put a bit of curry powder on it and you'll never notice the difference, even 'essence of pensioner pi55' would dissapear under those exotic spices.

(I guess that one of the benefits of the British Empire was that the wise Indian people taught us this trick to flavour otherwise bland or vile food... the Romans were probably the same, and Alexander the Great before them seemed to want to add India and every other exporter of spices to his 'list of realms I really must conquer', perhaps the ancient Macedonians had seafood flavoured with old people's pi55 too???!!!).

My choices- Pie and Mash (Being a good Southern Essex Lad) or fish and chips (has to be cod in golden batter), or the odd South Coast English Oyster as a treat.... Or a nice Chicken Korma!

Washed down with bitter... not that ice cold lager stuff.
Hi,all.
Thanks for the interest in what was originally
a humourous attempt to understand English quisine(?).

OK,Andym.Now you're just being ecchhh! :lol:

Jellied eels? Tried smoked-uhh.
Love most Mediterranean dishes I've tried.
Feta,calimari,calamata olives,ouzo,excellent.

Sorry,Sangve. I can only sympathise and reply
"Lutefisk"(sp). I probably spelled it wrong, but
I'm sure you recognize it.

Local dishes in Southern U.S. "fried green tomatoes
(like the movie better)grits,cornbread,everything fried.
Most Europeans would recognize a few of these by
other names.I won't even try to explain "chitlins".

Tarbicvs,Madras curry,English?? Smile
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
No Dan, just Alexander tutor Leonidas scolded him for being overly generous with aromatic incence and told him to wait till he conquered the lands that produced them.
So Alex when we got the places, sent a caravan of the staff to him with the words "We can be lavish now". Now thats a childhood trauma!!

If you come to Greece you must try kokoretsi made the way we do in the high mountains of central Greece. The whole world knows feta cheese but the Phocian formaila is the best in the world! (If you do not praise your house its roof will fall on your head).

Kind regards
Cheese grits and freshly baked biscuits with honey, vanilla cappuchino and honey buns :roll:
Banana pudding with that whipped cream on top....!
yes...I have visited the South... Big Grin
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Then you must have tried Frappe. Cold coffee with ice and as many sugar or milk as you want. Enjoyed preferably while lying in the beach during summer. The best modern Greek invention in my opinion.
Those of you who have visited our land in the summer know what I´m talking about!
Kind regards
Quote:Then you must have tried Frappe. Cold coffee with ice and as many sugar or milk as you want. Enjoyed preferably while lying in the beach during summer. The best modern Greek invention in my opinion.
Those of you who have visited our land in the summer know what I´m talking about!
Kind regards
Oh yes....they sell it over here in various 'Continental' cafes and in some supermarkets !!!
I liked those cold creamy rice puddings with nutmeg .... I remember having one of those in the village of Delphi...gorgeous...!
I will have to try some of your local Feta with olives and Retsina ...(yes, I did acquire a taste for it) Big Grin
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
Quote:Tarbicvs,Madras curry,English?? Smile
Why yes :wink: The favourite post-night-out-on-the-razzle-dazzle meal, shades of Empire and all that :wink:

Personally, anything including curry. This is making my mouth water: Fish, chips, mushy peas, a Spam fritter and curry sauce. Confusedhock:

British Food
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
And as it's nearly Christmas :lol: Turkey and all the other bits inside a Yorkshire Pudding

And be sure to check out how to make another favourite of mine, Shepherd's Pie: How to construct a Shepherd's Pie.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!