Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National Delicacies
Hoplite14gr, I agree that there are more delicacies from America that can be found, but I think BBQ is the best. It's a cultural thing, especially if you're from the South. My maternal side of the family is Irish though, so I tend to really enjoy anything having to do with potatoes. Big Grin
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
Quote:Why do Dutch people always say 'patat' to frites? :?
We don't. We also call it 'Friet'. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote: My maternal side of the family is Irish though, so I tend to really enjoy anything having to do with potatoes. Big Grin

Traditional Irish 7 course meal on my Irish side is a 6 pack of beer, and a boiled potatoe :wink:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:
TraderTrey9785:3fy9e2hp Wrote:My maternal side of the family is Irish though, so I tend to really enjoy anything having to do with potatoes. Big Grin

Traditional Irish 7 course meal on my Irish side is a 6 pack of beer, and a boiled potatoe :wink:

:lol: I have not heard that one in forever! My grandfather (A son of the old sod) used to say that all the time
Patata (potato) is said to be brought in Europe by the men of Pizarro and it is a Native American word. Guess the the people of the "Low Countries" changed the name when struggling against the Spaniards.
As for BBQ Trey, go to any country under the sun and they will tell you their national recipy on "roasted meat" is the best. I must say though that Americans realy imporved some recipies. Guess that some recipies of the "Old World" seem to produce nice results when combined.
By the way I think I will start liking the Irish 7 course meal!!!
You guessed it I like Beer as much as I like Wine!
Kind regards
Hoplite, I'm going to do some travelling this summer, so I'll be sure to check out the different recipes for roasted meat. And I have nothing against wine, the store that I work out specializes in wine so I have acquired taste for different varieties.

As for the potato and the six pack...I agree that's a decent meal, and one of my grandfather's favorites. Being a very audacious Irishman, he used to answer "I am fit as a fiddle, I just ain't got no strings" whenever someone asked how he was. And speaking of the six pack, are we referring to Guinness or is there another brand I should be looking for?
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
Quote:
Ramesses II:3qx5rnrj Wrote:Why do Dutch people always say 'patat' to frites? :?

We don't. We also call it 'Friet'. Big Grin

Every time I hear a Dutch speaking, they always say "zakje patat", or "Franse frietjes" (for the non-Dutch, literally translated from French Frites, with is inaccurately associated with France). Wink

Quote:Patata (potato) is said to be brought in Europe by the men of Pizarro and it is a Native American word. Guess the the people of the "Low Countries" changed the name when struggling against the Spaniards.

Here in Belgium we also call potatoes "patatten" (for the Dutch ones, these are "aardappelen" to be clear 8) ). Wink
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme
Tray, same answer as for roast. Too many types of beers!!
(They make Mc Faraland red beer there in Ireland-Guiness is only more famous)
Daan, yes "earthapple" (GEOMILO in Greek) for patato appears as official name in old decent Lexicons if the Old!
Kind regards