Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National Delicacies
The thing about the girls we say to have them for ourselves... if everyone knew the truth, they would come and robb'em. Big Grin P 8)

Neuschwanstein was built in the second half of the 19th century by König Ludwig II. from Bavaria.

Quote:Honest! I went on holiday to Pfronten when I was akid.. Lovely area, I still remember it very vividly.
Cool. My father lived there for 12 years. Is 'vividly' in that context positively connoted? Tongue

Yes, Pfronten is really nice. People there are mostly dark-haired, they are the decendants of the Roman population, who took refuge from the Alamanni in the Pfronten Valley. ( No joke)
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:
Quote:Honest! I went on holiday to Pfronten when I was akid.. Lovely area, I still remember it very vividly.
Cool. My father lived there for 12 years. Is 'vividly' in that context positively connoted? Tongue
Yes, Pfronten is really nice. People there are mostly dark-haired, they are the decendants of the Roman population, who took refuge from the Alamanni in the Pfronten Valley. ( No joke)
Yes, very positive. I looked it up, it was way-y back in 1976.. Confusedhock:
My first visit to the mountains had been the year before, Appenzell in Switzerland, and the Allgäu seemed much more friendly (but wetter - it seemed to rain a lot!). The Zugspitze, Breitenberg and the nearby Kleinwalsetal (Austria, yes I know) also stick in my mind.
After Pfronten we continued Alpine holidays (I even attended real climbing courses) until the mid-80s.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well, the posting of our German friend seems to support my theory that the art of Cheese Making was started and perfected in the mountainous areas.
Shall I mention Feta of Greece, Roquefort if France and Emental in
Swicherland. Russian also say the best Cheeses ara made by the people of Caucasus. Though I feel our Dutch friends will possibly argue for opposite.
Kind regards
I love the Falafel Pita! Yummy!
[Image: Falafel.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:Well, the posting of our German friend seems to support my theory that the art of Cheese Making was started and perfected in the mountainous areas.
Shall I mention Feta of Greece, Roquefort if France and Emental in
Swicherland. Russian also say the best Cheeses ara made by the people of Caucasus. Though I feel our Dutch friends will possibly argue for opposite.

Of course we do!! But there's cheese and cheese, and I won't argue with you where soft and blue cheeses are concerned. But for the yellow kinds we claim superior quality! Big Grin

[Image: bio-2_kaas-vrij.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Of course we do!! But there's cheese and cheese, and I won't argue with you where soft and blue cheeses are concerned. But for the yellow kinds we claim superior quality! Very Happy
Yum yum, I just remembered another Dutch delicacy: Patatje Oorlog (chips with satay sauce, chopped onions and then add mayonaise and curryketchup).
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Is the Orthodox Easter Sunday today so Happy Easter every one!
This is the best of topic thread of the entire forum!:!: :!: :!:
Robert I think we can't much the Dutch in yellow cheese based on cow milk but we have a number of "yelowish" cheeses based on sheep/goat milk.
Formaila of Archova, Cretan Graviera, Rodian Graviera, Kefalotyri of Amfilochia. The names sound exotic and they are not widely known because they ar poduced in smaller quanties and their export is rather hap hazard.
As for me, I have developed a likeing for the Cutch cheese too I guess!
Kind regards :!:
Quote:
Marius_Ursus:2eiizvnz Wrote:America doesn't really have its own delicacies...
:lol:

Apparently you have a lack of faith in your American selection.

BBQ?
Grilled Steaks?
Buffalo T-Bone Steaks?
Venison (in its 1 million variations) ?
Hamburgers?
Crawdads in hotsauce?
Chili?
Gumbo?
Deep fried Alligator?

You Yankees dont know how to eat :wink:

As for using Canola oil, you should read some of the ill side effects of ingesting this abomination. I use olive oil for everything I cook that requires oil.

Amen brother! Don't forget chicken fried steak with biscuits or cornbread and white gravy. BBQ baby back ribs, breaded fried gator (mentioned already) Rocky Mountain oysters (sheep testicles) Philly cheesesteaks (drool...) Hot chicken wings with blue cheese dip.

In comment to paulallen from a Montana boy... Tongue lol:
Quote:Yum yum, I just remembered another Dutch delicacy: Patatje Oorlog (chips with satay sauce, chopped onions and then add mayonaise and curryketchup).
Amen! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
Quote:Of course we do!! But there's cheese and cheese, and I won't argue with you where soft and blue cheeses are concerned. But for the yellow kinds we claim superior quality! Very Happy
Yum yum, I just remembered another Dutch delicacy: Patatje Oorlog (chips with satay sauce, chopped onions and then add mayonaise and curryketchup).
So that is where you go to eat...... :wink: :wink:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Pasha Bread!!! Loads of eggs, poppy seeds, and who knows what else, a sweet and filling, once a year, delicacy
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
And what about the Mexican Mole Poblano?
[Image: nta11156.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
In my opinion there is no better American cuisine than BBQ Pork. It has to be cooked a special way and all over the American South and Midwest there are different ways to do this. Being from North Carolina, you don't get any better than pit-cooked, pulled-pork, Lexington style BBQ. It is only found in central and western North Carolina anywhere from Charlotte to Boone. If anybody ever wants authentic, good BBQ, then North Carolina is by far one of the best places to visit. The sauce is mainly tomato based, and if you go to the East Coast it contains a bit more vinegar.

Good BBQ is hard to find....makes me miss home..... Sad
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
I do not think that BBQ is only American contribution to cooking Trey.
What about corn roasted, boiled, buttered?
Green fried tomatoes?
...and last but NOT LEAST buffalo steakes YUM YUM YUM :!: :!: Tongue

Kind regards
Quote:
Tarbicus:2oq9w97j Wrote:Yum yum, I just remembered another Dutch delicacy: Patatje Oorlog (chips with satay sauce, chopped onions and then add mayonaise and curryketchup).
Amen! Big Grin

Why do Dutch people always say 'patat' to frites? :?
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme