Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Oracle of Delphi
Recently I saw a History Channel program
that sought to de-mystify the famous oracle.
Two scientists(for lack of a better term) were
talking about the Delphi site when one(a geologist)
mentioned a fault running exactly under the temple.
After some arguing came to the conclusion that there
was indeed a fault there.
So when the priestess made her predictions,
they believe she was inhaling gasses from the fissures in the floor. Confusedhock:
They even did a study to try and determine what gas was there.
Very good info there.

Any comments,anyone?
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
And now does this gas go from the fault?
a.k.a. Yuriy Mitin
Khairete Andy,
I have visited Delphi when younger and actually went into the Pythia's cave to see what happened.
I always understood that gases came through a crack too, these put her into a trance which enabled Apollo to speak through her.
Very much like shamans who use drumming, chanting or various hallucegenics or the modern day Trance Medium. This trance enables the astral body to make contact with the guides, spirit world or Gods and Goddesses, in this case Apollo.
There is still, of course, a mystery surrounding prophetic messages....!!!
Delphi is rather a beautiful and mystical place, perched on the side of Mount Parnassus and we felt as though we were being watched whilst there.....
I don't think that Delphi can ever be de-mystified....it is a mystery in itself...!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
When you were in Delphi, did you feel that gases? Or did you see the place where there are the gases?
a.k.a. Yuriy Mitin
Khairete,
I was in the actual cave and remember seeing a crack I suppose you would call it, which I thought was where the gases came from. However I did not notice any gas or effect, unless the gas was odourless and that was the 'being watched' feeling, although I think I remember a slight draft..
It's a few years back now..
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
So what kind of gas did pythoness inhale?
a.k.a. Yuriy Mitin
Methane.
I remember reading it was a 'natural' emittance, although I don't know what it could have been...
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
I would point you to, The Delphic Oracle. Its Responses and Operation With a Catalogue of Responses, Josepah Fontenrose, 1978. Chapter VII, The Mantic Session discuses these so called vapours. Fontenrose lists the ancient and more modern interpretations of the actions of the Pythia. He concludes that there was indeed no vapours.

I believe that this concept of "vapours" has its roots in the need to explain the oracle in practical or scientific terms. For those of us who are too scientific I would point to Socrates and Plato. In the Phaedra, Socrates informs us that the greatest blessings come to us through madness. He then mentions four types of madness and their sources. Prophetic madness from Apollo. Ritual madness from Dionysius. Poetic madness from the Muses. And erotic madness from Aphrodite.

To full understand the happenings at Delphi, I think we need to better understand the Greek concept of "enthusiasm". Translated roughly meaning full of god or having a god in your thumos.

Check with Stephanos for the concept.

I do not think modern scientific explanations will help you much with the Pythia and Delphi. This coming from someone who teaches science.

Kevin
Well Pythia actually fell in "ecstasy".
The gas consept started when the oracle was located in a cave when the place was dedicated to REA or GEA the earth goddess.
In classical times she was standing in on tripod and inhaling buning fumes form DAPHNI (laurel shrub).
Pausanias in the Roman period describes a different ceremonial than rthe one in the classical period.
As for mistery 10 SS troopers and scientists from Anenehrbe entering the cave at the base of Athena Pronoia Temple, in Oct 1942 disspeared without a trace.
It seems that the palce was also a large archive database kind of thing that preserved info from the Bronze Age and that it had contact with other faraway similar places and institutions.
The only distructions that was positively identified does not come form Celts or Romans but saddly from Ignorant Cristian monks.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Khiarete all,

Wow! I was fascinated by this subject but didn't expect
such a response.
Please allow me to check my copy of the program this
evening to get details about the findings.
Paul,sorry but methane gas was discounted as potentially
fatal.However,since a geologist was involved samples were
taken and modern lab techniques were applied.The gas was one of three
possible that could cause the ecstatic frenzy of the Pythia.

They did indeed find evidence of emissions.
The fissures were very small cracks in the floor and even the
reputed water seen bubbling from the floor by ancient accounts
was found to be there.

I must say that modern attempts to discover the source does not
diminish my respect or reverence for this oracle.
Some things can be simple and yet magic!
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Sorry, I was being merely facetious.
Quote:Sorry, I was being merely facetious.
We need facetious men so we can have a focus on the research.
Dont be sorry Paul
Kind regards
Thanks, Stefanos,

In fact, I was trying to express, in one word, what Kevin said in his mail of the 16th.

Occasionally, I am loquacious. Mostly, I'm laconic.
Quote:Thanks, Stefanos,

In fact, I was trying to express, in one word, what Kevin said in his mail of the 16th.

Occasionally, I am loquacious. Mostly, I'm laconic.
A Spartan in other words.... :lol:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plutarch in Delphi Jona Lendering 3 1,682 07-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering