Limes in Libya
Quote:Okay, summing up:

Gladiatoral mosaic
Plumbata
Depictions of weapons etc.
small Hunting Baths at Leptis
anything relating to Legion III Cyrenaica

Anyone else?

Don't forget the camels :lol: and if possible have a look at the saddles please.

8)

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:
Code:
Temperatures in Amsterdam in May will be about 16, with a southwesterly wind bringing drizzle and low clouds...
It's in the mid-twenties, and I think it's HOT. And according to Dutch folklore, they call these days IJsheiligen (Ice Saints)...
Yes, today, but look at the weekend? 17 at best.. Sad
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
[quote] Sad ?: :?: :?:

Big Grin !: :!: :!:
(I don't like the heat. I am a reincarnation of a polar bear, I suppose.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Maybe You would like to contact our colegue archeologist mr Amran Khalifa who works in university in Leptis Magna. He also has connections with tourist agency that makes tours by Your demand throughout whole Libya. Recently he gave me some terrfic pics from various sites in sahara
if you plan to contact him this is his mail
[email protected]
this is the site of the touristic agency he works with
http://www.taziettours.com/EN/index.html
Personally I am making plans to visit Libya, next year with my familly, and to visit all the sites, roman, medieval and prehistoric, sahara and the mountains. Send me an e-mail if you need more info.
[email protected]
Stefan Pop-Lazic
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Thanks! Well-deserved karma point added.
Jona Lendering
My website
BYE BYE!
[Image: Airplane.jpg]

8)
Jona Lendering
My website
Ha, I'm back again from the Limes Tripolitana. Alas, no plumbata and only a couple of photos of the use of weapons, but I did find inscriptions of III Augusta (one possibly unpublished) and had some time to see Leptis and admire the gladiatorial mosaic.

The Limes Tripolitana is SPLENDID. It consists of three castella, about 250 km south of the Mediterranean coast. They control the main roads. Between them was a network of minor fortresses, guarding the main wadi's, which were regulated by dikes etc. Finally, there were hundreds of fortified farms and protected wells (about 2,000 have been identified, and I lost count). All in all, it was not only an extensive network to guard the Tripolitana, but also a kind of "limes culture" based on regulated wadi's. Created in c.200 by Septimius Severus, it survived for eight centuries.

After the wars between the Fatimids and Almoravids, the desert returned. Many monuments, like Girsa, are now in a rocky area without vegetation. At Bu Njem (or Abu Djem) we saw a fort that was almost entirely covered with sand. In the surrounding area, we discovered a part of the vicus that seems to have been unknown to the excavators. I still have to check this. We may also have seen the foundations of two hitherto unnoticed tombs.

And, talking about "catching some sun": we survived an "official" heat wave.

More later.
Jona Lendering
My website
Glad to have you back Jona!
Do tell us more!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes please!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hello,

excuse me, i saw this article to lateSad
There is an interesting little book or note book from
Erwin M. Ruprechtsberger "Die römische Limeszone in Tripolitanien und Kyrenaika Tunesien - Lybien"

There are photos about the street from Tacape (Gabes), the fort of Tisavar, of Benia Bel Recheb, the wall of Bir Oum Ali, landscape of Clausurae and the frontiesytem in Djebel Tebaga, of Ghadames, of Sabratha, the fort of Gasr Beni Guidem, the fort of Teuchira/Tokra, of Gheriat al-Garbie, Gheriat es Shergia, of Bu Ngem,of Msleten / Qasr Bularkan, of Mizda and Ghirza all in black and white. The photos came from Prof. Trousset, Rebuffat and others. It is the museum issue no 47 of Limesmuseum Aalen

Bye

Malko

Christian
Thanks!
Jona Lendering
My website
Will we see some photo's on your website in the near future?
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Quote:Will we see some photo's on your website in the near future?
Yes, I have made about 4,000, so it needs some sorting out. For the time being, enjoy our RAT map [url:1rkq8ev7]http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/option,com_google_maps/Itemid,99/[/url], where I have already indicated several sites.
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smithsonian article on discoveries in Libya Anonymous 4 1,115 04-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Carlton Bach