Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army Defenses in Camp
What is meant by "defense in depth"?

I read a book a few years ago called Caesar's Legions, and the author made a point about how Roman camps were not designed for defense in depth...
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
PATER FAMILIAS DOMVS VRSVM
-Tom
Tom,

Defense in depth is when you have one defense line backed by another. Usually there is an interval of somekind between the defensive lines. Like in WW1 you had a main trench and then so many yards behind that you had a reserve trench. The idea behind a defense in depth is that if the enemy is strong enough to break your first line his attack peters out as it hits your second and third lines etc... The Roman camp lacked defense in depth because they had a moat and wall but nothing behind it. If the enemy got into the camp that was it.

I hope this makes sense. I sometimes lose things between the brain and the fingers.
That makes perfect sense. I was aware of the concept, but I didn't know it had a name...hence didn't know that was the name for the concept.

Thanks! Big Grin
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
-Tom
Glad to do it. I am thrilled to have contributed something as up till now I have only asked questions.
Marius,

There's a great book out there on this very subject : "The Grand Strategy Of The Roman Empire" by Edward N. Luttwak.

Roman camps or bases built before Diocletian served as basic housing for the troops and nothing more. Diocletian converted or "hardened" them into fortresses that could withstand determined enemy siege forces until help would hopefully come from mobile forces.
Jaime
Awesome! I already own that book.

I just haven't read it yet. :oops:
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
-Tom
I think that the origin of the system is pre-Diocletianic.

The "classical" limes in Syria and Tripolitana/Cyrenaica was already an open system. Many positions were occupied to control the nomads of the desert and steppe. This already involved some depth.

In the Gallic Empire, the system of a double line can be dated to the Gallic Empire ([url:3l1lxfla]http://www.livius.org/ga-gh/germania/inferior10.html[/url], scroll down a bit). This is based on Danny Lamarcq & Marc Rogge, De taalgrens (1996 Leuven). I am unaware of English publications on the same subject.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Hi Jona,

I wouldn't trust too heavily on what you read in that publication (De Taalgrens) about that second defense line. First of all Aardenburg (like its predecessor Maldegem-Vake) was build to block invasions by sea (Saxons). Secondly, what Rogge thought to be a third century fort in Velzeke is confirmed by new excavations to be a mansio for the cursus publicus. For Mechelen it is pure speculation. I don't know of anything ever been found there of any importance for the Roman period. Tongeren was military important in the Augustean period but develloped into a civilian town (with a wall defense in the early second century, nothing military in the third century.

That more important road between Bavay-Tongeren-Cologne did have a well build out defensive system from the second half of the third century onwards. That is your second line of defense (behind the limes). Look at the forts in Liberchies and Braives. When I come home this evening I will look up a good reference for these road-forts.

Greets,

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Hi,

Here's the reference I promised:
R. Brulet, C. Léva e.a.
Forts romains de la route Bavay-Tongres. Le dispositif militaire du Bas-Empire. Louvain-La-Neuve, 1995.

Greets,

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Roman Army Camp Excavated in Israel Gunthamund Hasding 1 1,328 07-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Zodiac and Roman Army Camp construction antiochus 65 12,542 02-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat