Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nero\'s Golden House Closed To Public - Damaged From Rain
Hi,

Quote:I think it was briefly converted into a church ?

IIRC the aula palatina is still a (protestant) church.
It's the Porta Nigra that was a church for a while.

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Quote:It's the Porta Nigra that was a church for a while.

Oh, right - the gate house. I don't think I've seen the interior.

Thank you, Hans.
Jaime
There are several more reconstructed villages (or parts of them) in Spain just like the one Lucius pointed out. Numancia (site of the famed siege) has also several buildings totally reconstructed.

But the point still remains, its just impossible to keep all those treasures on tip top condition. The amount of money required would outclass any profit made from it. Just look at Pompey, that place is falling apart due to rain, bird depositions, human hordes, wind, temperature, etc...and you bet that place attracts tourists with cash. Still over a third of the town has not even been properly excavated and even private houses lie on top of the buried town.
Museums, much of what they have can also not be exposed due to monetary limitations.
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
Quote:Oh, right - the gate house. I don't think I've seen the interior.

From above:
[Image: Porta03.jpg]

The inside:
[Image: innen1.jpg]

As a church:
[Image: portanigra.JPG]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:There are several more reconstructed villages (or parts of them) in Spain just like the one Lucius pointed out. Numancia (site of the famed siege) has also several buildings totally reconstructed.

Wonderful Big Grin I just hope someone takes lots of photographs since they won't be maintained for very long.

Quote:The amount of money required would outclass any profit made from it. Just look at Pompey,

I respectfully disagree in the case of Italy. One day there will be nothing to see and there goes your precious tourism revenue :roll: . Granted, Spain gets little tourism for their Iberian sites though. Sad but true. Does declaring an archeological site as "world heritage" (UN designation) mean anything in terms of money ? Just curious, not that I'm advocating that to happen.

Hey, Vortigern, thanks for those images Confusedhock: . What happened to the church bell tower ? I guess the wooden additions just rotted away ? Sad

Oh, and I like your new award. You got promoted, that was quick :wink:
Jaime
Greetings,
Quote:Why preserve when you can restore ? I can only conclude that they're just being miserly :evil:
Sometimes it is nice to be able to look and know that something has nothing modern added, like Pompeii.
Where you can feel the past is very close and walk out of the building into a street almost seeing the original citizens about their daily life..
There is something ancient embedded in the stones and bricks that you will not find in modern replications.
Restorations that are totally original material are the best way, but not so easy as the sites have generally been plundered to use the stone, etc elsewhere.
I really like the idea of the Amphitheatre in Jerash being used for chariot racing and Gladiatorial games along with Legio VI Ferrata patrolling the streets, it must be an exhilarating experience...
[url:30ip13qe]http://www.jerashchariots.com/[/url] and from what I have seen of the town, streets still paved with original stones, rutted with chariot wheels, it is somewhere I would love to visit one day, and to visit the Amphitheatre, of course... Big Grin 30ip13qe]http://www.travel2jordan.com/jarash.htm[/url]
I guess holding rock concerts is the modern equivalent of the entertainment that would have been held in some amphitheatres....!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House of Augustus opens to the public Theodosius the Great 0 1,024 03-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  Silver and Golden Eagles Anonymous 3 1,083 12-18-2004, 02:18 AM
Last Post: Anonymous