Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nero\'s Golden House Closed To Public - Damaged From Rain
[url:3k67aak5]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4522008.stm[/url]

Geez, what's wrong with them ? Can't they just throw a canvas up over it ? Idea :roll:

[Image: domusaurea.jpg]
Jaime
Greetings,
I was reading elsewhere that Rome is endangered by heavy rains that are undermining the foundations, because of all the catacombs and sewerage tunnels.
It seems a wall collapsed somewhere, medieval I think it was, and this had resulted in worries that many of the ancient structures could be damaged or even dangerous.
That's probably what they are worried about.
Here is the article......[url:2ge6cr0w]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/11/20/wrome20.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/11/20/ixworld.html[/url]
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
i hope that they can do something about it!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Italy's problem: too many ancient remains, too little money too take good care of all of them... (and, just to make it plain, it would require HUGE amounts of money).
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Events like this only highlight the fact that this progresive destruction has been taken place countiuosly in the last 2000 years. You can not sadly cover everything from acts of God.
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
Quote: years. You can not sadly cover everything from acts of God.
True, but a higher budget would have been more prudent in this case. Italy seems to forget that they make much much more money from the tourists who to gape at these ruins.. Protecting them (the ruins, that is Big Grin ) with a fraction of that money would secure that income!!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert is 100% correct, of course Smile

If it were my country I'd go even further and do complete restorations (not like the phony "restoration" of the Parthenon in Greece :roll: ).

I don't know why that idea is so taboo.
Jaime
Quote:I don't know why that idea is so taboo.
In Israel, they add a metre or so to each ruin to protect as well as 'visibly enhance' it, but they add a black line to show the original height. They also do that in Switserland, but without any visible signs.

I also know of hillforts in Wales were the walls were partly reconstructed for the same reason, but each added rock received a little round hole to show it was newly added.
Big Grin lol:

I think in Israel they got the right ideas about ruin preservation. Although.. In Caesarea, they 'rebuilt' the amphitheatre (as did the Swiss in Augusta Raurica/Augst!) to use it for theatrical shows and rock concerts! Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Sure, even the Italians did a partial restoration of the Colosseum but the restored outer arches are a different color to distinguish old from new.

Why preserve when you can restore ? I can only conclude that they're just being miserly :evil:

That's great that the Israelies restored their amphitheatre. I don't like modern performences being conducted in them, but at least they're maintaining it.

BTW, Robert, I like you're Intercissa award 8) Is that a new graphic ?
Jaime
I guess the discussion is also about use. is a ruin a relic from the past, or can you or must you reconstruct it and use it for the same (albeit modern) purposes?

Theo, you'd love the Late Roman Basilica in Trier!
[Image: tr_basilica.JPG]

Yes, the Silver intercisa is a new award for Late Roman expertise. Aitor and me just received it this afternoon!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Theo, you'd love the Late Roman Basilica in Trier!

Oh yeah, seen it on TV many times from the inside but never from the outside. Thanks Big Grin I think it was briefly converted into a church ?

Quote:Yes, the Silver intercisa is a new award for Late Roman expertise. Aitor and me just received it this afternoon!

Congratulations :!: Smile wink:
Jaime
About reconstructions, at Catalonia we have reconstructed a whole iberian city:

[Image: 80.jpg?thumb=1]

[url:2szla36t]http://www.ibercalafell.org/llista_articles.aspx?idsecc=lHvKgsox9GE=[/url]

First it was archaeologically digged and then "remake" with experimental technics, reproducing original ones.

But recontructing big unic monuments like Domus Aurea is very different. And dangerous...
That's impressive, Lucius Big Grin . Is it a city or more like a town ?

Quote:recontructing big unic monuments like Domus Aurea is very different. And dangerous...

Well, that's one of Rome's more obscure buildings anyway. I just want things like the Colosseum made whole again or even the temple to Jupiter in the forum.

Quote:I guess the discussion is also about use. is a ruin a relic from the past, or can you or must you reconstruct it and use it for the same (albeit modern) purposes?

If you use them for reenacting Greek and Roman plays I think that'd be nice Smile roll: :evil: .
Jaime
Quote:Well, that's one of Rome's more obscure buildings anyway
It is the one though with the Hector on a high wall that was interpreted by Graham Sumner as a possible Praetorian kit... Just to put it in perspective :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
It is indeed, Jasper. This is the first time I've seen it in color Confusedhock: Big Grin
Jaime

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House of Augustus opens to the public Theodosius the Great 0 1,040 03-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  Silver and Golden Eagles Anonymous 3 1,099 12-18-2004, 02:18 AM
Last Post: Anonymous