Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Real Patron Saints - UK TV tonight
The Real Patron Saints
7:00pm - 9:00pm
Channel 4

Quote:St George, the patron saint of England, is the knight that slayed the dragon, right? Possibly, but that's not the full story. According to this lengthy documentary he's also the patron saint of Catalonia, Moscow and Turkey, where they believe he has healing powers. He wasn't born in this country either but in Turkey, or possibly Palestine, and may even have been a Roman soldier. Dr Robert Beckford (who also presented The Gospel Truth and The Empire Pays Back) looks at the surprising history of Saint George, as well as the other three patron saints of Britain and Ireland. Saint David, he learns, was a studious Welsh Christian reputedly born as a result of rape and who reportedly lived until he was 147 years old. Saint Andrew wasn't born in Scotland but in the Holy Land, died in Greece and is the only one of the four saints to be one of Jesus's 12 disciples. Ireland's Saint Patrick was a fearless, fanatical missionary with some unorthodox and apocalyptic views.

Whoops, and I just realised the time :?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Greetings,
I saw a trailer for that last night...around at my daughter's digs....and thought damnit....missing out again... :?
Incidentially one of my legendry ancestors on the Irish side is descended from the guy who killed the guy who enslaved St. Patrick.....with a bow and arrow, no less......lol
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Incidentially one of my legendry ancestors on the Irish side is descended from the guy who killed the guy who enslaved St. Patrick.....with a bow and arrow, no less......lol

If your distant ancestor was Eochaid, son of the King of Leinster, then the guy he killed was my distant ancestor - Niall Nóigiallach, or Niall of the Nine Hostages; founder of the O'Neill clan and first of the long line of O'Neill High Kings of Ireland.

Shooting a mighty warrior like Niall in the back while hiding in the bushes? That's all we'd expect of a cowardly Leinsterman. :wink:
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  \'Barbarians\' - a review of tonight\'s Tarbicus 4 1,681 06-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  Spartacus Doc Tonight! john m roberts 2 1,267 04-11-2006, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Gaius Decius Aquilius
  BBC - Timewatch tonight - Alesia Tarbicus 1 1,124 10-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Peroni