Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheekpieces
I've never seen these cheekpieces before. Can anyone kindly provide any more information on them?

project.klascement.net/kt/beelden/420_022.gif

project.klascement.net/kt/beelden/420_023.gif

From this site: project.klascement.net/kt/beelden/legeruitmenu.html
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Some of the pics on that site come (again) from the museum of Roman Civilization in Rome. I would not be surprised if those do too.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
They have an Attic look, don't they? Yet the decoration looks Roman. Possibly from the elusive Attic helmet?
Pecunia non olet
Well isn't that wild- the 'standard' scutum decoration on a helmet cheekguard...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:They have an Attic look, don't they?

To be honest, I don't think they look too disimilar to actual Weisenau cheekpieces either, which mostly seem not to have that classic protrusion at the rear to help protect the neck, except the embossment is more pronounced than usual. What is interesting is they are both right cheekpieces from different helmets displaying the same motif and shape, which helps support ideas of standardisation in equipment, at least at a local level if they were found together.
Romancoins-Weisenau

Does anyone know where they were found, and what period they've been attributed to?
Quote:Well isn't that wild- the 'standard' scutum decoration on a helmet cheekguard...
Absolutely Big Grin I had pretty much the same reaction as well.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cavalry helmet cheekpieces. LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 16 5,174 04-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS