Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brass/bronze Vs. Steel/iron helmets
Quote:Sorry I'm not getting the obvious, since I'm not a chemist or a metalurgist - What was happening to LandRovers? Were they crumbling because of the reaction of the composite metal?

Do pay attention, there at the back! LandRovers (the original ones, now aka Defenders) were made with a Duralumin body (thanks to an excess of it post-war in Britain, and Rover's desire to ape the Jeep) and a steel chassis. Where steel meets duralumin, corrosion occurs under the right circumstances (dampness, impurities, because of an electrolytic rection: there is a potential difference between the two metals and it has become a battery, just like lorica seg). There is a potential difference between any two different metals, some more than others, but you'll need a chemist or physicist to explain it in detail; I'm only an archaeologist who has to live with the consequences. These days they stick crummy plastic washers between the two metals but these don't last long and heavy salting of the roads in winter leads to white powder syndrome as your bodywork heads to oblivion... All bimetallic armour (helmets, body armour, armguards) would have been subjected to the same corrosive effects, especially where the two metals could not be separated and cleaned.

Quote:Is there evidence of [Romans] using electroplating? Is it a possible technique they may have had to obtain certain properties in metals?
- rememeber I don't have much knowlegde in metal stuff, so go easy.

No evidence for the Romans doing so. These early 'batteries' are not found in a Roman context and the fact that the Romans continued to build bimetallic stuff as structurally flawed as lorica seg suggests they did not understand the process.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Hey...I have a Defender Land Rover...where do you say I should start looking? I always thought having a Land Rover was actually great to fight corrosion.
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
Wow, thanks for the info Mike and Vortigen!

Do us modern Romans need to worry about that corrosive effect on our repro seg's? Or you mean after a good thousand years does it start to cramp your style?
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:Here is a question, which do you prefer for your impression...brass/bronze or iron/steel.

I think brass/bronze looks very nice....but how does it hold up compared to iron/steel.
Quote:Yes I agree that iron is hard wearing but I find it rusts too easy. Brass is easy to clean and more important to me - it attracts more cameras!

[Image: i1picture025.jpg]
Jamie (Domitius)

DEO IANVS

C.S.I

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noric steel: was it real steel? Cipher 4 4,924 10-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Brass helmets versus bronze helmets jkaler48 8 3,093 03-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Montefortinos: Brass or Bronze? Poftim 7 2,291 10-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Matthew Amt