Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legion Arena
ave Spedius - no 20 is not bad but for the amount of time i have to spend on playing especially while I have some injuries that make - well most everything difficult to one extent or another I cant see spending 20 for a game that will definitly sit for the next 6 - 8 months. I appreciate all your info and links, if anything its made me wishing I could play it right now and I cant wait until I can.
again Thanks - octavianvs
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Quote:ave Spedius - no 20 is not bad but for the amount of time i have to spend on playing especially while I have some injuries that make - well most everything difficult to one extent or another I cant see spending 20 for a game that will definitly sit for the next 6 - 8 months. I appreciate all your info and links, if anything its made me wishing I could play it right now and I cant wait until I can.
again Thanks - octavianvs

Ave Octavianvs,

I'm sorry to read of your injuries, I do hope that they're not too serious and wish you a speedy recovery.

When you're better, perhaps you may be able to find the time to enjoy playing Legion Arena.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
ave Spedius
Thank you my friend for your concern and wishes. Thank you for all you information and links on the game itself. It has definitly caught my interest fully now.
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Quote:ave Spedius
Thank you my friend for your concern and wishes. Thank you for all you information and links on the game itself. It has definitly caught my interest fully now.

Ave Octavianvs,

May I suggest that you download the free demo, give it a try and, if you enjoy it, perhaps the full version could be next on your shopping list?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Spedius - I think I will try this after all. Man cannot sit still for long no matter how much it hurts Big Grin Thanks _ Octavianvs
Quote:Spedius - I think I will try this after all. Man cannot sit still for long no matter how much it hurts Big Grin Thanks _ Octavianvs

Ave Octavianvs,

I am truly sorry to read of your pain, what happened to you?

On the Legion Arena front, please keep me up to date on your progress?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave!

I pop over to www.slitherine.com on a daily basis to keep myself, and you, up to date on events over there.

The latest is "Fan Made advertisements" see below:-

http://www.slitherine.com/eslitherine/f ... .php?t=944

http://www.freewebs.com/slitherine/index.htm

The aim is to create a fully functioning fan site complete with Forum etc.

Keep checking in to see how this project develops.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
I've only played the demo, but I found the lack of battlefield control very realistic.

I love Rome - Total War but I must admit that I micro manage every unit during the battles in a way that would have been utterly impossible for a real general (even if he had had access to a helicopter and a mobile phone!)
Max Attenborough
Quote:I've only played the demo, but I found the lack of battlefield control very realistic.

Ave MAXIMUS,

The demo is a fine introduction to the full game, but sadly, it only has five battles. The full game, with the Cult of Mithras add-on, has 150 battles.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave!

There has been a remarkable event over at www.slitherine.com , today saw the launch of the first "Legion Arena" campaign mod. This mod was created by one of the members, "possum" and adds a further 41 battles to the 150 which were featured in the standard game with the "Cult of Mithras" add-on.

Here is an extract from the announcement:-

"[size=150:3soswnvc]Britannicus in Britain, a new Legion Arena Celtic campaign[/size]"

"Player Notes

1. This campaign is intended for the experienced player, who has completed both of the standard campaigns in Legion Arena. This campaign is intended to be played on the middle difficulty setting ("Hard", in the english language version). This campaign is intended to be challenging. But feel free to play it any way you like. Because lower difficulty settings yield less fame, it may be the case that playing on the "Normal" difficulty setting is not really much easier, (see note #2 immediately below).

2. Fame is handled a bit differently in the early game. Most of us are accustomed to having huge excesses of fame, won in major battles witnessed by thousands, (and affecting the fates of many times that number). The initial parts of this campaign deal with obscure events off on the fringes of the empire, or hidden away from public view. Thus, the gain in fame is very small at first. Instead of accumulating a huge surplus of fame, you may find yourself doling out what little you have for much-needed replacements. This is intentional, but really only an issue for the first three scenarios, while you are en route to Britannia.

3. If the "Heal All" button is not active, but the hearts are red, it means you don't have enough fame to heal all units. You can still heal some by double-clicking on the spinning red heart of the unit you wish to heal.

4. If the hearts are black, it means you are not allowed to get replacements now. The next battle happens very soon after this one, and there simply isn't time.

5. Do not neglect the direct combat skills of your leader, or his personal equipment. To win the 7th scenario, he will probably need to have Weapons 2, a helmet, and a half-dozen combat skills. The ones with the little sword next to them are my personal favorites, Wink.

6. In scenario #3, watch out for the bandit skirmishers, they may be the one dangerous enemy unit in this scenario.

7. Suggestions. My suggestion is that you keep all 4 of your starting units. The first 8 units you buy might be something like this - 1x Archers, 1x Nobles, 3x Warriors, 3x Veterans. And try to get your units to Weapons 1 and Armor 1 as you go along. Don't try to fill the roster before starting to buy equipment.
"

Further details may be found here http://www.slitherine.com/eslitherine/f ... .php?t=995

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Thanks, Spedius, for your kind words. I am almost embarassed here. After all, it's just a mod, not the Second Coming Smile

I must object, as politely as I can, to Legion Arena being called a "pale imitation of RTW".

They are really not even in the same genre.

Legion Arena is painstakingly historically accurate, but the thrust of the game as game is the role-playing aspect of your units' development. Slitherine has quite successfully taken the best elements of RPG gaming, and grafted them seamlessly into what would otherwise have been another fairly ho-hum RTS game.

The fun part, the fascinating part, is the development of your force through the campaign. What units will you recruit? What skills will you train those units in? These are the decisions you have to make, and they provide truly endless replay value.

Then there are all the equipment-buying decisions. Will you go with a small, elite, lavishly-equipped army, or recruit a huge horde of units, and try to get by with numerical superiority?

Some members of the community enjoy doing things in as historically-accurate a manner as possible.

I played the whole roman campaign through once with no heavy infantry, just to see if I could do it. I used one elephant unit and several units of heavy auxiliary cavalry for my heavies, and the usual auxilia for my lights. It worked fine, once I adapted the usual tactics to suit my force.

Legion Arena heavily rewards the clever use of terrain. Light Infantry is king in the rough.

Legion Arena also richly rewards the careful use of combined arms. We all got a hearty laugh out of the post by the one player saying he'd recruited an army of nothing but Praetorians, and wondered why he couldn't win this one scenario Wink

Anyhow, check out the demo, it's free. Buy the game, it's cheap. You won't be sorry you did.
mandatory real name disclosure -
Chris Joiner
Ave Chris aka Possum,

May I be the first to say that you are most welcome over here at RomanArmyTalk or rat. Big Grin

You will notice that someone has awarded you a Laudes point, that was me. Big Grin

It's a thumbs-up thing, if we like what you have to say then we applaud. I currently have 34, so lots of someones must have sore hands from all that clapping :lol:

I've been beating a lonely drum over here, trying to keep members up to date with events over at www.slitherine.com , so your post is more than I could have hoped for. Perhaps you can become the "voice" of Legion Arena. :?:

When I first arrived here I became known through my enthusiastic postings about Roman Military Diplomas. I created an impact as I feel sure your arrival here will too. I will watch your progress with eager anticipation. I urge you to "let rip" with your fertile imagination and your wide range of historical, literary and musical interests.

You will find, as I did, that your thoughts and ideas are received with a wide range of stimulating counter thoughts and ideas. Idea

You will also find that, that extra something which you possess in abundance will be rewarded with more than just plaudits here, you will be accorded the respect and admiration of your peers.

I do hope that you can find a second "home" here, as I have. Big Grin

Perhaps, in the future, others, from over there, will join us, over here :!:

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Hey, Speedy Smile

Ave atque vale!

I wasn't sure if "Possum" was an appropriate name for this venue. Everybody has these "roman" names. Perhaps something like "Marsupialis Minimus" might fit in better, hehehe.

Did you know that the north american opossum (didelphis virginianus) is, with one very minor exception, the only marsupial found in the americas?

The "very minor exception" is a south american tree rat so obscure that there are none in captivity.

But I digress, as usual.

As far as me here, we'll see. I might be a bit too much of a diamond-in-the-rough for this scholarly crowd Wink
mandatory real name disclosure -
Chris Joiner
Ave Chris aka Possum,

Far be it for me to persuade you to stay or go.

Ultimately, you will do what you want, irrespective of anything that I may say.

The only words that I will add though are, take a look around, test the water and then decide.

Keep well.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave!

Possum's mod seems to have created a burst of activity from the game developers over at www.slitherine.com .

I looked in, as I do several times a day, and found the following.

"Just released today!

Please note - this is a BETA mod and is still being balanced. If you have any feedback on the mod please post your comments in this forum.

In this mod you will get vastly restricted amounts of fame. This means that if you lose a battle badly you may not even have enough to replace all your men. You'll have to decide who to replace and make sure you minimize casualties. This adds a whole new dimension to gameplay. Missions that used to be easy are now transformed as you care how many casualties you take. This is actually what we intended Legion Arena to be about, but some players found it too hard and we had to scale back the role of fame.
We hope you enjoy the mod!
Install Notes
1) Point the unzip operation at your Legion Arena directory. This is usually C:\\Program Files\\BlackBean\\LegionArena. The zipfile will create a \\mod directory and the \\berserker directory under that.

Download mod pack from www.slitherine.com/LegionArena/files/Mods_27_4_06.zip "

The first reaction has come back.

"Hi Iain,

I'm on to play the Arretium battle, and have 4500+ fame points left. I'm playing Romans, Hard level. Hardest battles are still to come, so i think that having a fame points pool will be handy.

Its tougher than before. I think that very hard level will be really challenging.

Saludos
Miki"

I found the above here http://www.slitheri.100megs21.com/eslit ... php?t=1034

Check it out.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legion Arena Andrew 2 1,600 09-23-2006, 08:39 PM