Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books about the 2nd et third century roman legionnary.
Tarbicus
I want these books, but they are not available on the French Amazon website. :?

Sassanid
I have the Martin Windrow's book and it is great, but a bit light.
I would like to possess the Duras Europos book, but it is too expensive for me at the moment.
I'm waiting the next edition of Roman Military Equipment before buyong it.

Theodosius the Great
I m not a big fan of this period, but i think it's quite interesting to see the evolution of the clothing during the centuries after the period of the 'great roman army'.
ERWAN
Quote:In "Lorica Segmentata Vol. 1", M.C. Bishop has the Newstead type phased out by somewhere around the first quarter of the 3rd Century, and the Alba Julia type a little later but still before the middle of the century.

Huh! You don't want to believe anything he writes!

JRMES 12/13 shows lorica seg continuing in use into the late 3rd or even early 4th century, which brings to mind that Newstead-type piece from Carlisle that Ian Caruana published some years back from a 4th-century context. At the time it was thought to be residual, but would anybody be so sure now?

Quote:I,too,was interested when you suggested
this book by Dr. Bishop.
Unfortunately,Amazon says it's out of print
and looks like it will be hard to locate.

Keep your eyes on the Oxbow website ( www.oxbowbooks.com ) - there may be a few turning up there after the middle of December ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Came across a copy in Foyles in London yesterday.

Interesting that bottom girdle plates of the Newstead type from Leon had copper-alloy binding, and a breastplate on the Stillfried cuirass had the same on a breastlate at the neck. The ones from Leon also had a mix of plain and embossed decorative bindings.

The authors also believe the Corbridge type may have been in use up until the mid-3rd Century.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Quote:In "Lorica Segmentata Vol. 1", M.C. Bishop has the Newstead type phased out by somewhere around the first quarter of the 3rd Century, and the Alba Julia type a little later but still before the middle of the century.

Quote: Huh! You don't want to believe anything he writes!

Don't be too hard on yourself, Mike :wink:

Quote: JRMES 12/13 shows lorica seg continuing in use into the late 3rd or even early 4th century, which brings to mind that Newstead-type piece from Carlisle that Ian Caruana published some years back from a 4th-century context. At the time it was thought to be residual, but would anybody be so sure now? Mike Bishop

Yes, JRMES 12/13 has only just come out, and is available from Oxbow
Books on their website. It's also worth the price for the article by Peter
Connolly on the new, improved, 'non-bendy' pilum (which, as we all
know, was another one of those re-enacting factoids) 8)

Ambrosius
"Feel the fire in your bones."
Unfortunately, Peter's paper is lacking one of its figures...
I've been luckier, at least only part of one of my figures is missing! :evil:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Does anyone know more about...

Jorgensen, L. (et al. eds.), 2003, 'The Spoils of Victory. The North in the Shadow of the Roman Empire', Kopenhaven (???)[at least it was published by the Danish National Museum].

A Swedish archaeologist (Peter Johnsson) recommended it, and I'm looking for a copy. The book is said to be the catalogue for an exhibition about the North German and Scandinavian bog finds (Vimose, Nydam, Illerup, Adal, etc.).
Since I'm doing 3rd century reenactment, this book sounds like a 'must-have'! Aitor, I don't know if it also includes 4th century equipment, but I don't think they would leave out such an important chapter.

Dagann, Graham Sumner's '[amazon]Roman Military Clothing 2[/amazon]' should definitely be on your shopping list :wink:
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Yes, I've got it,
Also earlier and later Vth, VIth century fascinating but GERMANIC military equipment (with some bits of Roman military equipment) plus new data on the Nydam ships.
I got it from Oxbow books and it deserves to be bought but don't expect too much about the Roman equipment published on it! :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Aitor - thank you very much for the warning Big Grin
Toyed with the idea of buying the book, but now I'll just try to borrow a copy.
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Yes, better if you see it first and then decide if it is worth buying it! Big Grin

Aitor

Rolf Steiner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Different Osprey editions: Legionnary #2? richsc 7 1,538 07-21-2003, 10:31 AM
Last Post: richsc