Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what else do I do with my Pugio
Quote:As to being made from broken gladii, I am not aware of any examples which can be shown to have been made from re-used parts of other weapons, but this is something which would, in all probability, be difficult if not impossible to spot most of the time. I think that it might be possible to make either a type 'A' or type 'C' blade from a larger broken blade, but as I have said, I think that this origin would be extremely difficult to spot and I cannot think of any examples which can be shown to have been made from other weapons. If anyone knows of one please let me know about it, preferably with a picture and provenance.

Crispvs

Crispvs,

Here is a photo of a pugio recovered from Vindonissa in Switzerland. It looks like a small pugio blade with a gladius style grip, and a guardplate. One thing I noticed was how small all of the pugios from this site were. The almost reminded me of toys, even the couple of gladius blades. Are we as re-enactors making our items larger than their historical counterparts?
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.

Messages In This Thread
So what else do I do with my Pugio - by arklore70 - 12-04-2005, 02:53 AM
Re: So what else do I do with my Pugio - by Primvs Pavlvs - 12-12-2005, 11:48 AM
hmm - by TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX - 12-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Re: hmm - by hoplite14gr - 12-13-2005, 12:45 PM