Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman quote help
Who are the authors of these statements:

Vis et honor, "Strength and honor;"
Pro populo romanoque senato, "For the people and senate of Rome;"
Dextra gladius, leva scutuum, corpore honor. "In the right hand the sword, in the left the shield, in ourselves honor;"
Pugnamus pro Roma, "We fight for Rome;"
Roma vincit, "Rome wins" (usually said after a victory).

Wikipedia has an article on Roman tactics, is this accurate?

Look this up on their website:

Roman infantry tactics, strategy and battle formations
Johnny Shumate
This would be the said website of the
Wikipedia article.

"Pro populo romanoque senato", (For the people and senate of Rome); I think are a misquote for the well-know SPQR: Senatus Populusque Romanus (the Senate and the people of Rome).

"Roma vincit", apart from Simon Scarrow, this seems to be a modern adaptation of "Christus Vincit" or "Amor vincit (omnia)" (love conquers (all)).

"Vis et honor" (Strength and honor); is that even correct Latin? In quotes, I see 'vis' translated as 'force', or 'power', not 'strenght'.

"Dextra gladius, leva scutuum, corpore honor" (In the right hand the sword, in the left the shield, in ourselves honor) - modern invention?

"Pugnamus pro Roma" (We fight for Rome) - modern invention?

Of course, I'm no expert, if anyone knows better just shoot me down. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
You can check out the background to articles by clicking on "Discussion" at the top of the page. In this case:
[url:3msgpupq]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Roman_infantry_tactics%2C_strategy_and_battle_formations[/url]

It was written by an Italian guy who based it mainly on Vegetius. As for the mottos, sounds like 'Gladiator' to me, and "Strength and Honour" definitely is, AFAIK:
[url:3msgpupq]http://www.krescendo.com/gladiatorlatin/script/latine/gladiator.html#_Toc35704791[/url]
Scroll to line 8.12.9

It's worth checking out the background to the other linked pages at the bottom.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!