Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auxiliary mass promotions
It is well known that on several occasions soldiers of the fleets were transferred en bloc to the legions. The Legiones Adiutrices are of course best known. Does anyone know of parralells with auxiliaries?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:It is well known that on several occasions soldiers of the fleets were transferred en bloc to the legions. The Legiones Adiutrices are of course best known. Does anyone know of parralells with auxiliaries?

I guess that would be the mass promotion of limitanei (static border troops) to the comitatenses (mobile field army) during the 4th and 5th century.

To me, that's one of the clearest signs that the quality difference between these troops types, if extisting at all, was very small.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
References?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:References?

It's based on studies of documents and inscriptions, it's not referenced by direct quotes from sources. To name a few of these secondary sources and the main document:

Hoffmann, Dietrich (1969): Das Spätrömische Bewegungsheer und die Notitia Dignitatum, 2 vols., Epigraphische Studien 1, (Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn).
Hoffmann, Dietrich (1969): Die Neubesetzung des Grenzschutzes am Rhein an der gallischen Atlantikküste und in Britannien unter Valentinian I. um 369, in: Roman Frontier Studies 8, pp. 168-73.
Notitia Dignitatum, IN PARTIBUS OCCIDENTIS, IN PARTIBUS ORIENTIS, full text (Latin) at: [Image: notitia.html].
Notitia Dignitatum, full text (English) at: [Image: notitiadignitatum.html].
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
By references, I mean secondary stuff too, so thanks! I'll go and have a look in those. Still, I'm open for 'earlier' suggestions.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys