Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testaments and heirs
Does anyone know a good article/book on the relations between roman soldiers and their heirs?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Does anyone know a good article/book on the relations between roman soldiers and their heirs?
This seems to have something on the subject:
Aspects of Friendship in the Graeco-Roman World (JRA Supplementary Series 43)

Quote:Cecilia Ricci concludes the set by discussing the 155 inscriptions by urban troops in Rome, almost all funerary, which mention friendship ...... Or was there simply a tendency for unmarried veterans to nominate those dearest to them, who were naturally their fellow-servicemen, as their beneficiaries?
Also in Journal of Roman Archaeology, supplement 34 - 'The Roman Army as a Community'. Here's a PDF of the intro:
eprints.bbk.ac.uk/archive/00000261/01/haynes2.pdf
Quote: Check out page 9.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I know a very good article of some juridic aspects of the roman army:

http://www.ejercito.mde.es/ihycm/revista/90/1canas.htm

Sorry, it's in spanish. :roll:
And not specifically to the soldiers you can see one the chapter of roman juresprudence in the Gibbon's book, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

It's online here:

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/ ... hap44.html
You might also want to think about:

Campbell, Brian, [amazon]The Emperor and the Roman Army, 31 B.C.-A.D. 235[/amazon]

Which has a substantial chunk on the Roman military will, not least on its importance as a perk of the job, as well has how and why emperors protected its status.

blue skies

Tom
Tom Wrobel
email = [email protected]
Thanks for the tip, but I've already got that. I'm looking for something more specific. I want to know whether legionaries' heirs were in the same centurie/cohors, whether their officers often were heirs, etc. Such detailed stuff.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine