Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mannerisms and Cultural Traits of Romans in General
[size=150:3l51cko3]O[/size]kay, I am working on something about the Roman Man himself and so am looking for help about ([size=75:3l51cko3]as I say in the subject line above[/size]) Mannerisms and Cultural Traits of Romans in General. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Marsh
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Khaire Varianu,

Have you read Patronius' Satyricon? It offers great insight into the Roman psyche. Quite the read, too.

Khaire,

-Aedon
Felix Lucini

It will not be long before you have forgotten all the world, and in a little time all the world will have forgotten you.
Quote:Khaire Varianu,
Have you read Patronius' Satyricon? It offers great insight into the Roman psyche. Quite the read, too.

Khaire,

-Aedon

[size=150:1ncx23j1]A[/size]las no, not yet. 'Tis on my list though. What I need is more something short, say a page or two to help reenactors get a feeling for the Roman man himself... Somethings are easy to find, some things are harder. Anyway, for what I am doing, I need something that one can abosrb sort of quickly, then later, go back and study in more detail.
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
That's a pretty tall order. I've tried my hand at writing something like that for use in the SCA - twice - and you're welcome to both attempts, but I'm really not happy with either (mail me if you want the docs). More of a one-thousand-page-topic.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
More of the usual general general reference I imagine;www.historyguide.org/ancient/lecture10b.html
The Table of Contents is here:
www.historyguide.org/ancient/ancient.html
Lecture 13 may be valid too:
www.historyguide.org/ancient/lecture13b.html
Try here as well: www.cwru.edu/affil/GAIR/cba/conway.html
This is interesting: www.roman-empire.net/society/society.html
Quote:no Roman could be his own judge, but could see himself only through the eyes of others.
The description of this book also looks relevant; "Roman Honor,
The Fire in the Bones" by Carlin A. Barton: www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/8714.html
Also by the same author; "The Sorrows of the Ancient Romans: The Gladiator and the Monster." It's description says it's an unusual study of the Roman psyche through the Roman obsession with the Games.
This article looks like it may expand on the usual stuff a bit more, but you need to find a way of getting access to it:
muse.jhu.edu/cgi-bin/access.cgi?uri=/journals/american_journal_of_philology/v125/125.3konstan.html
And this page on the nature of Fides: www.csun.edu/~hcfll004/fides.html
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
There is a collection of very good essays edited by [amazon]Andrea Giardina, The Romans [/amazon] which includes chapters on 'The Soldier' and if I recall correctly, 'The Man'.
The purpose of volume was to provide profiles of different sorts of Romans and their value systems so it may well provide you with some very useful material.

And look, I remembered to put the amazon tags in!

Kate

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  traits of a Roman legionary richsc 48 11,830 05-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar