Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with quote
Hi, the big pester strikes again! :oops:
Could somebody inform me from where the quote 'Omnes quae militant cincti sunt' comes. Also a confirmation of the spelling would be warmly welcome! :roll:
Many thanks,

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Oh, I've found it:
Servius, ad Aen. VII, 724
Unfortunately, I haven't got that work. Therefore, I'd still need confirmation and the complete, unabridged title. Also a short explanation about what kind of literature is it and the like... :roll:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Got it! Big Grin

"Omnes enim qui militant cincti sunt"
Maurus Servius Honoratus, Grammarian, Commentary on Virgil's Aeneid, Book VIII, verse 724.

HERE

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Servius was a 4th century AD grammarian who wrote a commentary on Virgil's Aeneid.
The Servius reference is therefore a also a reference to Aeneid 8.724, which is the description of the shield of Aeneas. Servius is commenting on discinctos (unbelted) Africans in the picture - ie: they ain't soldiers any longer as they've been defeated.
Translation (into English, if the hyperlink works) which will also get you access to the Latin from Perseus.
[url:3b246yfp]http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.02.0054;layout=;query=card%3D%23263;loc=8.729[/url]

kate
Many thanks, Kate! Big Grin

Aitor

Rolf Steiner