Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Hamata-just how good was it?
Flavius,

There is a bit of evidence for padding under seg, if your front & rear top collar plates are meeting at an angle (as so many do !) then this has been shown to be corrected by a layer of padding over the shoulders.

This area is also made of thicker metal on most of the found seg plates & with the extra padding would be very good at resisting an overhead type blow aimed at the shoulder & would almost certainly be better than mail in this small area.

I'm not so sure how much padding you could reasonably expect under the body section though.
My Historic Enterprises 15thC arming coat, designed for wear under full plate harness, basically is only a heavy duty coat with re-enforcing patches where you need to add mail.
This has been tested extensively & found to be more than adequate by modern jousters & historic fight practitioners.
Basically I guess you only add as much padding / layers as neccesary to add to safety as you could comfortable stand to wear all day.

Most of this sort of discussion has been covered many times on the Arador forum - now sadly not working - with pretty much the same conclusion.

Metal + Padding works ! Big Grin

Adam
Adam Rudling
The Vicus - recreating life in 1st Century Britain

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wearing Lorica Hamata Under Everyday Clothes? Anonimus 0 990 11-06-2017, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Anonimus
  Does Lorica hamata exist in the sources? Anonymous 7 4,231 11-15-2015, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Effectiveness of Lorica Hamata/chainmail Gaius Colletti 7 9,297 03-25-2015, 07:40 PM
Last Post: Dan Howard